classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
rob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rotten junk rig seahawk

rob
Hello I've just bought a rotten seahawk 17 I should have walked away but in doing my research, found this site and think this might be my perfect boat.
The end grain balsa is all rotten and the ballast surrounding the centre plate might need digging out and doing properly.
The main thing though is that i want to put a junk rig on it. Has anyone done this?
Also no drive shaft left what was it and where do I get one
I will hook up to pedal drive (see my old rig on robs pedal boat on u tube)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: rotten junk rig seahawk

brian johnson
Hi Rob
Welcome to the forum and well done for trying to save a Seahawk!   I'm assuming you are referring to the balsa core in the cabin roof where the mast sits.  If so it is not hard to repair; just rip it all out and glass in some thick marine ply, especially if you go for junk rig.  This rig usually has an unstayed mast taken through to the hull floor so you need something really solid on the cabin roof to take the sideways strain on the mast. I would use ply over 20mm thick with a hole for the mast and rig a mast step on the cabin floor.  The ballast issue needs sorting if you want the drop keel to work properly. There is info on this site about how to deal with the ballast.  Pedal power sounds good for inland waterways!
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
I agree Brian, an unstayed mast needs some considerable support and the need to follow through the cabin roof down to the hull is probably essential. That may make the cabin a little restricted for live aboard use, but it would seem Rob is a man who can live with that.

The site I mentioned in my response to Rob's introductory post (UK-HBBR) has some excellent people on it (including those capable of doing the maths on the strains involved and the nature of the materials needed to keep things in place) who I am sure could offer sound advice, although some may be a little appalled by the lack of umpteen coats of high gloss varnish on Rob's existing craft. :-)
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by rob
Hi Rob,

Just spotted this bit of your post...
rob wrote
Also no drive shaft left what was it and where do I get one
I will hook up to pedal drive (see my old rig on robs pedal boat on u tube)
I know of no supplier of spares for the fittings related to the inboard motor found on a few SeaHawks. I don't even know if they were custom made or were a stock part acquired from somewhere by Reedcraft. The later builders did not offer an inboard engine.

I have never had the chance to see under the hull of such a boat and only have the photos that I have been sent to go on. See:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boat-description-engines.php
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boat-gallery-uk-hakunamatata.php
plus these two of the same boat not previously published on the site:

Prop Shaft

Prop Shaft
Greg Chapman
rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rob
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by rob
For the first time in my life I'm gonna do properly and replace end grain balsa with new but yes massive beef up of step and partners for new rig and while at it put a beam in inplace of the current roof bracing.
 The first problem I have is the keel strop needs replacing before I do anything else apparently a galvanised metal strip can be a easier substitute ( no hiring crimpers)
 Regarding the junk I've got the Blondie hassler manual but was hoping maybe I wasn't the first and I could copy someone's maths homework!
 I'm told I should walk away now but It's diminutive size is why I'm not daunted I intend to document the process and look forward to advice
 Think thrice, measure twice......
Ta
Reply | Threaded
|

Marsh Marigold
The keel strop is really important.  When ours broke we ended up with a hole in the boat!
Victoria
rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rob
Thanx yes I've read the forum so many times I could probably recite passages of it. I like the idea of a galvanized metal strip to push as well as pull and then no hiring of crimpers.
 I ought to remove keel to clean an protect but is beyond me for now so so long as it's secure it be ok n hope it don't rust away
rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rob
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Thanx for all the help it makes a massive difference I have probably taken on too much but I think it is perfect. I have been living on the kingfisher for six years but despite being bigger the cockpit is smaller as is the usable internal space. Because I live in it with my cat I can't do any proper work on it.
 I will document proceedings and at some point send a file when I have computer help
rob
Reply | Threaded
|

rob
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Thanx for all the help it makes a massive difference I have probably taken on too much but I think it is perfect. I have been living on the kingfisher for six years but despite being bigger the cockpit is smaller as is the usable internal space. Because I live in it with my cat I can't do any proper work on it.
 I will document proceedings and at some point send a file when I have computer help
 Also considering the stresses involved with an unstayed mast I also like the idea of sprit sail for inland water the diagonal boom being kinder than a horizontal one this could maybe done using existing mast and adding tabenacle to 'shoot the bridges. For now ishould concentrate on the boat and just do reaserch on alternative rigs I've a topper that is my test bed. A stunt kite being the most leftfeild rig I've tried on it (not a sucess but did show promise)
 Is any one into yuloh ing? I'm on oar no4 and making slow progress with design and how to use it but
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Again, your friend for both sprit sails and yulohs will be:
http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/
I used the search facility and found 162 posts that reference Yuloh and 35 references to sprit - not to mention 72 references to junk!

They are a friendly bunch there. Many have great skills in everything from yacht design, rigs, boat propulsion, "electrickery" and even building eco-friendly houses. They take my jibes about how they should actually go sail their boats rather than start building another once they complete one with good humour too!
Greg Chapman