A SeaHawk Hull as a Fishing Boat

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum!
rhino wrote
Regrettably no experience of sailing
Fear not! I believe we have SeaHawk owners in Devon that could help with that.
but looking to get a boat with a motor in the water in the near future to do some sea fishing
We don't tend to cover that topic here.
I have been given an early Seahawk sailing hull and need some guidance as to what I should do with her.
Well, I'd say, put a mast on her and get some sails . It's sometimes said a set from an Enterprise dinghy would fit OK.

I take it that the hull includes the superstructure so you have a cabin?

There's information on the original inboard engines on the site. There's little point in using more than a 4hp outboard. Anything bigger/heavier/more powerful would just dig the stern in and make the bows point to the sky as she has a non-planing hull. Some people have their outboards mounted inboard.

I guess you wouldn't need the keel, so could block up the slot that potentially could let water into the cabin.

I'm not an angler, so I can't offer suggestions on what might make her a better fishing boat.

What are the options as you see them?
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A SeaHawk Hull as a Fishing Boat

rhino
Hi Greg

Thanks for pre-empting some parts of my first post:-)

The seahawk is an early version, I would guess from the early to mid 1970's.  It has the Reedcraft style of storage inserts.  The hull is complete as far as I can tell with the cabin, door, etc.  It has no bouyancy, mast, sails or rudder.  I did put some pictures on a thread on the practical boating forum - http://www.practicalboating.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8209
My apologies for the poor picture quality.

It is sat on tyres about 300 yards from my house.  The first problem is transporting the boat to my house.  Any advice in this regard much appreciated.

I would like to clean it up, sort out some bouyancy and then use it as a fishing/pleasure boat with a motor.  Hallsands is near to me - the boat could be left on the beach and there is a winch.  The hull is obviously not suitable for a large motor but I am hoping that I could fit something large enough to make it useable as a motorboat.  If anyone has any experience of effectively using an outboard at sea, I would appreciate input.  Appreciate that there is a drop keel in place but hoping that this would not cause any water intrusion problems with sensible use.   The boat has a lot of room on board - I think that it would be possible to anchor up and fish in relative comfort, given reasonable sea conditions.    

Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Rob,
rhino wrote
The seahawk is an early version, I would guess from the early to mid 1970's.  It has the Reedcraft style of storage inserts.  The hull is complete as far as I can tell with the cabin, door, etc.  It has no bouyancy, mast, sails or rudder.
You're right! Your photos say Reedcraft boat! Buoyancy was considered cissy  back when they built boats. It was only the European Recreational Craft Directive that caused Mistral Craft to have to redesign the SeaHawk to include buoyancy and have the keel lift into the cockpit. Here's what it looks like in such a boat. You'll note that there are no cockpit locker liners, so the hatches just open into the void, hence the a full height bulkhead, not the low one you'll have.

C-Auk Buoyancy

C-Auk Cockpit Locker
It is sat on tyres about 300 yards from my house.  The first problem is transporting the boat to my house.  Any advice in this regard much appreciated.
It's questions like yours that make me wish I was a handy man. You'll have seen the kit that was used to lift a boat described on the Trailers Page. That was professional stuff, but it is clear that it can be done at home relatively easily judging from Sea Holly's Keel Repair.
If anyone has any experience of effectively using an outboard at sea, I would appreciate input.  
You'll have seen what I have to say about Outboard motors as well!
Appreciate that there is a drop keel in place but hoping that this would not cause any water intrusion problems with sensible use.
I lack worthwhile sea - and proper wave - experience, but only twice, in the nine years I have owned my boat, have I had any water come up through the keel casing and then only enough to fill an egg-cup. But...

Those two occasions were as I crested a wave and, momentarily, the keel slapped in its casing instead of being pressed against one side as part of its job of stopping the boat move sideways. I very much doubt that you'll get much rise into the cabin. However, given that you say you plan to beach your boat it might be worth fitting a sacrificial plank to the base of the keel so sealing the keel slot.
The boat has a lot of room on board - I think that it would be possible to anchor up and fish in relative comfort, given reasonable sea conditions.
The hardy Danes seem to sip beer while there are snow on the decks, if we believe Jakob Poulsen tales of his cruises aboard Idun!
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator

Hi Rob,

The following used to be a page on the main site but was withdrawn long ago when I began to run out of space on the server. It might give you some ideas...

(I have since changed the way images are hosted, so it wouldn't be a problem today.)

A SeaHawk Launch

Page published 11 November 2004

Peter Stockley has a small yacht which he keeps at Catfield Dyke. His wife is not too keen on sailing, but is happy to go boating occasionally in a small motor boat. Peter found this SeaHawk, lacking sails and rigging, in a local yard and managed to buy it at a very good price.

The previous owners were understood to be two young men who had begun conversion work with the intention of using the boat for fishing. Peter's plan was to finish this work creating a small motor boat for day trips and picnics.

A SeaHawk undergoing conversion

It was only a short distance to bring the boat home. Peter was thankful for this as the trailer was a rotting and extremely frail dinghy trailer. Given the weight of a SeaHawk, it didn't look as if it would manage more than a few hundred yards before collapsing. (Peter is building a replacement shown in the Trailer page in the Boat Shed Section.)

A SeaHawk undergoing conversion

When pictured, in July 2004, Peter had already fitted new stanchions and large block, mounted centrally, for an outboard motor. Work had also started on preparing the boat for re-painting. (Note the well-supported transom, necessary to stop the boat tipping when working in the cockpit.)

One unusual feature of this boat are the cockpit lockers. At first glace they are the conventional lockers to be expected on an early Reedcraft built boat. However, these are not surface mounted, but instead are recessed, which suggests that the superstructure moulding is not as early as might first be assumed.

One advantage of this arrangement is that it makes the fitting of cill strips to prevent items sliding out of the locker much easier. The original Reedcraft method was to mount a strip of half inch square timber just inside the locker opening.

Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

rhino
Thanks for the replies Greg - my apologies for not getting back sooner.  I wish I could feed off your enthusiasm and make this idea work.  Have been consoling myself with some mountain biking - hard work down here in the South Hams.

The latest problem is getting the boat in the sea.  I have been speaking with a friend who has lived in Stokenham for 25 years.  He replaced his boat last year and now has a 14ft fishing boat that he can't get into the water locally - currently sat on a trailer outside his house.  The beach at Torcross washed away last year and after around 4 months has not returned.  Boats cannot be left on a non existent beach and the public slipway is unuseable.  There was a winch at Torcross but the house that accommodated the electricity supply was sold last year, the winch cannot now be used.  Nearby Hallsands has lost a lot of its beach too and the winch club, run by another friend is fully subscribed with a very long waiting list.

There are too many obstacles to overcome and with regret I have to accept that the SeaHawk will have to be sold.  I would appreciate it if you are able to advise me with regard to selling my boat.