classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Swoop of SeaHawks

This post was updated on .
I have just posted my report of what may be the largest, or even the first, group of SeaHawks cruising in Company.

Seahawk, Angela and Just17
Read the report at:
http://greg-afloat.969558.n3.nabble.com/A-Swoop-of-SeaHawks-tp3380757p3380757.html
Do you know of a larger planned gathering of SeaHawks?

Is there a better collective noun than "swoop" for such a gathering?
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A Swoop of SeaHawks

I'm guessing I will always A) sail alone as a SeaHawk and B) never have anyone who has shared the experience unless I come to the UK and look you guys up or invite one of you to come and stay with us.  
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Tom,

One of the reasons I bought my SeaHawk was because I was confident I could handle her solo, even when lowering the mast to get under the bridges we have on out local waters. However, I've always enjoyed time with other SeaHawk owners, swapping stories and checking out their ideas about how to improve the boat.

Last week one of owners in my area suggested we organise an even bigger cruise in company - or a rally - or something. If you include the pub, parish and boatyard moorings where I moor I think there are two of the Mistral Craft SeaHawks, plus perhaps six other older boats, so we have an excellent nucleus. If only I could persuade three or four to commit to a specific date then I might have something to advertise...

It would be superb if we could get some boats from other waters to share the experience.

I really must suggest a date and get organising...
Greg Chapman
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

Greg:

I'm guessing that's a backhand invite to just sail my Kismet across the pond and join the festivities.  Loved the Three River Race posting.  Would love to do that one.  Here on the St. Johns we have the Mug Race - World's Longest River Race.  The Rudder Clubs hosts it annually.  From the biggest to the tiniest of sails it's a lot of fun.

http://www.rudderclub.com/mug.html
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Tom,

Well, it could be a bit of a challenge to sail the Atlantic in a SeaHawk, but others have done such a voyage in similar sized boats. And, certainly, it would be wonderful to attract an American owner to the Broads.

Not sure which "Three Rivers" posting you meant. Have you seen the reports on my blog of the 2006, 2008 and 2009 races that are on my blog.

You Americans have a very funny idea of distance and of worthwhile challenges. How come you can advertise a 38 mile river race as the longest in the world, when the Three Rivers Race course is normally reckoned to be around 50 miles and it's not a cissy race where the race rules prevent you from having to take your mast down for bridges!
Greg Chapman
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

Hahaha!  Who knows why they bill it as they do?  I'm not one of the powers that be.  I do know it's a lovely event on a very broad semi tropical river where almost everyone gets a cup/mug of some sort.  Prodigious amounts of beer drinking at the close of the race lasting well into the night.  As for sailing the Atlantic, I am but now a more timid soul at 60 years of age than I was say along about 1970. Flying over and finding a SeaHawk for Charter/hire or as extra crew would be more my style these days... Best to leave sailing the Atlantic in a 17' for maddogs, Englishmen and other assorted Anglo Saxons of a more youthful verve...