classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Bernd Bernd
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bernd Drumm

Hello,
sorry about my bad english, it is a little bit rusty.
I just startet after 15 Years again looking for "national ship and boatbuilder federation" and came to this page, Great. Now I know, that I'm probably the owner of a SeaHawk.
Who can give me more Informations about my boat and it's type?
Sign
I sail at lake chiemsee in bavaria, germany. I bought this boat from a man who is lending boats.
At the time the boat was 8 years laying in the mud. So it take a lot of time to repair this boat. I made a family-boat.

I'll give soon more pictures from the hull, daggerboard and the rudder.
Greetings from munich
Bernd
ReneDirks ReneDirks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bernd Drumm

Hi Bernd,
Though I do not claim to be an expert (I leave that to Greg) I have some serious doubts about this being a Seahawk - unless someome did some majow work on it.
The forward pointing windows, the expanded transom (Spiegel) - maybe created to cover the hardware for the steering wheel? Missing the arc at the door opening. And missing the typical clicker-built (Klinkergebaut) hull.
Yet a very cute boat though!
Grtz
Rene
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Rene,
ReneDirks wrote
Though I do not claim to be an expert (I leave that to Greg) I have some serious doubts about this being a Seahawk - unless someome did some majow work on it.
You are right. It's not a SeaHawk, but there is a page on the site that describes Bernd's boat. It is a Pedro (or the fixed keel version, the Senorita) or it started life as one of those. There are several features that are not typical.
The forward pointing windows, the expanded transom (Spiegel) - maybe created to cover the hardware for the steering wheel? Missing the arc at the door opening. And missing the typical clicker-built (Klinkergebaut) hull.
Look carefully and I think you'll find that it does have the clinker-built hull. (On some pictures shadows of the planks can be seen.)

As you'll see on the Pedro page, the windows on the standard boat are slightly different. However, examine the PDF file that includes the 1975 brochure and you'll see the boat was available part build and buyers could cut out their own windows.

Surprisingly, the brochure also refers to wheel steering being available as an option on a motor version. I suspect this was mounted on the cabin and not in the cockpit as in Bernd's boat. As you note, the stern has been substantially rebuilt, perhaps to allow for that steering.

Apart from the stern, the other major change from the standard Pedro that I notice is that the boat has a much taller rig, possibly even taller than a SeaHawk. That means I am very interested to see the keel and whether this is anything like a standard SeaHawk, Pedro or Senorita.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Rene,

I have had an email from Bernd. He tells me he has had the boat for 16 years and will be away from the forum for a week or two but, on his return, hopes to create a "My Boat" folder on the forum where he will post more pictures showing the cabin, keel and rudder.

In the meantime he sent a link:
http://www.ssv-rimsting.de/
of the club's site at lake Chiemsee, where he's a member.
He says click on "fotoshows" and you'll find pictures of his boat in "Kindersegeln" in several years, with good ones in 2003 under "Kindernachmittag".

He also says that his hull does not have the standard bilge fins that you see on a SeaHawk or Pedro. One or two of the photos on the site, although not the best for the purpose, do confirm this. The only photograph I have seen of the hull of a Senorita is the one on the "Family Sail Boats" advert on the Pedro page. I've been studying that picture. It's very grainy but when I compare it with the photo of the Pedro in the same advert I begin to think that the Senorita shown does not have bilge fins.

Thinking about it, the lack of bilge fins seems a reasonable design feature. The Yachting World article suggests the deeper main keel is made of iron, so is likely to resist heeling, giving much the same effect as the bilge fins in the shallower drafted SeaHawk and Pedro. Removing them would reduce the wetted area of the hull compensating for the additional wetted area produced by the deeper main keel.

Other than that advert, I conclude that Bernd's boat is the very first Senorita I have seen but a heavily customised one, the main changes being the stern, its wheel steering and the tall rig with bowsprit. This boat is an exciting find and I'm glad that Bernd found the site.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
ReneDirks ReneDirks
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Greg,
You are definitely right, I was too focused on the other pictures to see the clinker-built hull. I did not realize that end-users could build their own boat- that explains the shape of the windows which I've seen on several French small sailing boats. The first owner probably could acquire those easily and decided to use them. Very interesting boat!
The only other info I could find from Florence Marina is a 18 foot motorboat, also by JB:
http://www.anwbwatersport.nl/boten-archief/13483/Dancer_18_Florence_002.pdf