classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
waterville waterville
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Boat Safety Certificate

Hi,

As part of getting my Seahawk into the Broads, I need a Boat Safety Certificate. It should be very simple (and quick) as I have no cooker or battery, just an outboard with integral fuel. I've read the guidance here (thanks Greg!) and the BSS guidance which I think will all be satisified with storing spare fuel in the ventilated starboard cockpit locker and putting 2 fire extinguishers in the cabin.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tester in the Wroxham/Horning area and some idea of the cost, please?

Cheers,

Barry

GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Boat Safety Certificate

This post was updated on .
Hi Barry,
waterville wrote
As part of getting my Seahawk into the Broads, I need a Boat Safety Certificate. It should be very simple (and quick) as I have no cooker or battery, just an outboard with integral fuel. I've read the guidance here (thanks Greg!) and the BSS guidance which I think will all be satisified with storing spare fuel in the ventilated starboard cockpit locker and putting 2 fire extinguishers in the cabin.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tester in the Wroxham/Horning area and some idea of the cost, please?
I used Ian Jennings the first time. He was based on his two live-aboard boats at Brundall and Northampton at the time and it was only a mile out of his way to call in to my home in West Norfolk, without charging any mileage fees. He seemed a good guy and appropriately flexible in applying the rules as they affect boats like SeaHawks.

I used Insight Marine Surveys (Steve Truss) in January last year, because the landlord at the Pleasure Boat Inn said he was a regular and recommended him. He lives at Ingham. He did it on a Sunday. I had opened up the boat and was still on my first pint and hadn't even realised he'd arrived and completed the examination when he entered the pub looking for me. I paid £80.

You have less on board than I did. As you'll see from the BSS page, I was only required to have one fire extinguisher and no fire blanket. This wasn't challenged by the second examiner on renewal.

You should find a list of current examiners on the BSS web site. (I've just updated the link on the BSS page!)
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Marsh Marigold Marsh Marigold
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Boat Safety Certificate

This post was updated on .
We used Ian Jennings for the second time last year (on the Thurne near Potter Heigham).  Still very friendly and helpful and definitely understands Seahawks.
Victoria
Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media