Bryn Weightman

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
bryngwylan bryngwylan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bryn Weightman

I have to admit to have have been sailing for 65 years. I learnt to sail in various boats in the Bristol Channel, but most of my sailing has been on the East Coast based mainly on the Medway and Swale and cruising on the South Coast and near continent.  I have owned a wide variety of boats from British Moths and Mirrors up to a 43ft schooner which I designed and built from scratch, and taking in a bit of ocean racing on the way.  Have also skippered (professionally) Thames Barges, carrying cargo under sail and power.  I have a couple of dinghies at the moment, but in looking for a boat more suited to my advanced years came across the Seahawk, and a short sail on Greg's 'Imagination' a little while ago settled it.  I collected 'Mr Toad' 271. (must change that, all my boats have Welsh names) earlier today and expect to be sailing her on the Broads in 2011.
Robin Boyes Robin Boyes
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bryn Weightman

I do guess you must have a great boat sense,I guess you bought a British Moth about the same time as I did.After a great season I got fed up being dunked and bought a SeaHawk,It goes well,maybe we will see each other on the Broads!
Robin Boyes, Ex BM821 ZigZag
bryngwylan bryngwylan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bryn Weightman

Actually I still have the British Moth, 779, Onono.  I've only had her about 18 months but I did have another in the '60's.  I think I should sell her really as I can't see me sailing her much now. Also have a Tideway 10 which I like very much and can't see me selling as she's a nice traditional dinghy for my advanced years.  The fleet also includes a Mirror and, under restoration, a very elderly Heron, both of these are in the Jura in France, where I spend quite a lot of time.  That's not to mention the two coracles or the Storm Petrel which is at a boat brokers yard in Suffolk for sale.  I've always tended to collect boats, there was a time when I had 11 from an 8ft dinghy to a 43ft schooner !