3 messages Options
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Curlew: Chelmsford area

This post was updated on .
I received an email from a Vic Wells on Friday. It read:
I have a very rare Seahawk 17 for sale.She is named CURLEW and is one of the only 2 or 3 original boats to have Stuart Turner inboard engines fitted.
I asked for details and got the response:
I am asking£850.Phone 01245 472741 for further details.
An Internet search suggests that 01245 is a Chelmsford area code, but I don't know if the boat really is in that area. I will post more if I get the information from Vic.

If you're not familiar with the two types of inboard engines fitted to the SeaHawk then take a look at the Engines page. (I don't know which type Curlew has!) In addition to Sisters and  Hakuna Matata, that appear on the Engines page you'll also find photos of Hoc Est (in the days when she was named Scorpio) in the Gallery section of the site. So we now know of four boats with inboard engines!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Curlew: Chelmsford area

Curlew is an original example of a Seahawk 17 fitted with a Stuart Turner R3MC inboard
engine.

This boat is the 2-berth model with moulded in sink with drain through a skin fitting. Also fitted is a cooker and anchor locker. I bought the boat from a barge live aboard on the river Blackwater. After sailing around the estuary for a while I bought the boat back to my garden for a complete re-fit. I removed the engine with the idea of installing an electric drive motor on the existing prop-shaft, so when sailing the free wheeling prop charged the drive battery. Unfortunately due to lack of time I now have to dispose of the total project.

The hull has never been painted apart from anti-fouling so is in original condition. However, the gel coat on the top sides has crazed so a coat of deck paint would be beneficial. All standing and running rigging, and sails and spars are present including 2 rudders (original rudder was too small). Everything to go cruising is included such as anchor, warps, fenders, bunk cushions etc.

She sits on the original purpose built road trailer in my garden ready to tow away for £850. (I am about to fit mudguards to the trailer to make it road legal). See attached photos.

For further info please phone Vic Wells on 01245 472741.

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Curlew

Many apologies to Vic. He sent me these details and photographs over a week ago while I was in the Midlands. I'm in the middle of a complex house move and by the time I had returned to Norfolk I had completely forgotten about his message which he had sent to me to post here.
Greg Chapman
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Curlew: Chelmsford area

In a further email, in answer to a question of mine, Vic has responded:

===========================================
The sale only includes propshaft for electric motor installation.I found when sailing Curlew in rough seas,waves shipped in cockpit used to find their way past engine hatch into bilge.To avoid sinking I intended to seal up hatch flush with deck and fit teak duckboards.The R3MC engine has stopped sparking.I think it needs a new magneto.The plan was to convert to CDI ignition and renovate,but engine is for sale if anyone interested.
===========================================
Greg Chapman