classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
sea_turtle sea_turtle
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

David Turtle

Hi All,

I've just become the proud owner of "Nancy Blackett", formally "Tadpole", P113, Sail No. 396

I bought the boat last weekend off Harry (Skanker56) a thoroughly nice bloke. And towed her 200 miles down to Sussex on an unknown trailer which was nerve wracking to say the least. However we got home safe and sound.

I have a swinging mooring in Chester Harbour which is ideal for the SeaHawk. It's very tidal with mud banks left right and centre - a boat that can turn on a six pence with a lifting keel should fit the bill nicely.

I've sailed dinghies all my life so this is my first step up to a little/big boat - I am looking forward to being able to make a cup of tea! If that isn't a sign of age I don't know what is.

The boat is in good condition, very plain inside. I will take some photos as soon as I have a moment. Unfortunately the previous owner had a shroud shackle snap on him in a blow so the tabernacle got a bit mangled and there is slight damage to the base of the mast. So that might be my first line of enquiry.

The forum was invaluable as a buyer to really understand the SeaHawk before setting out to buy one, so a big thank you to all for posting so much information.

See you on the water!

Dave
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: David Turtle

Hi David,
sea_turtle wrote
I've just become the proud owner of "Nancy Blackett", formally "Tadpole", P113, Sail No. 396
Good to hear that another SeaHawk has found a new owner.
I have a swinging mooring in Chester Harbour which is ideal for the SeaHawk. It's very tidal with mud banks left right and centre - a boat that can turn on a six pence with a lifting keel should fit the bill nicely.
As long as you don't expect her to sit bolt upright when the tide's out so you can sleep aboard comfortably you should be fine.

Fresh o' Wind
I am looking forward to being able to make a cup of tea! If that isn't a sign of age I don't know what is.
A very reasonable requirement, to my mind!
Unfortunately the previous owner had a shroud shackle snap on him in a blow so the tabernacle got a bit mangled and there is slight damage to the base of the mast. So that might be my first line of enquiry.
At least you are in a place with plenty of boating companies about that should be able to help you sort out that problem.
The forum was invaluable as a buyer to really understand the SeaHawk before setting out to buy one, so a big thank you to all for posting so much information.
Good to know that the site is doing the job intended for it.

It was only the weekend before last that I was down in your part of the world. I'm not likely to be visiting my brother's again for a good number of months. However, Chichester (not Chester) Harbour was where I learnt to sail, so I have fond memories of the area. I mention the Thames Sailing Barge, moored in Bosham Channel, where I learned to sail in my report of a day aboard Matchmaker on my Greg Afloat site. Her only advantage over a SeaHawk was that she did stay upright, as can be seen from the photograph of her at East Head.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography