classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Luna 17 Luna 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dawn Everest

This post was updated on .
Hi my name is Dawn and I am starting a new project in my life. I’ve bought the shell of a Pedro 17. She is on the Isle of Wight sat in the mud. She is watertight and afloat on the high tide. I’m hoping to get her out this week and start restoring her....but I need your help. She needs a mast, sails, rudder, transom bungs, anchor, etc. I have no information of sizes or where to get parts from. Can anyone point me in the right direct please. Thank you.
brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pedro 17

Hello Dawn and welcome to the forum :)

As you probably know, the Pedro is basically a Seahawk hull with no drop keel and a smaller rig. I have sailed one and can only say that they are not a patch on the original Seahawk - they are slow, make a lot of leeway and don't sail well to windward.  

You will find it really hard (if not impossible)  to get the parts you need without buying a donor Pedro. My advice is to walk away and find a cheap but complete Seahawk with a working keel.  Mine cost me £550 with a proper galvanised trailer.  I had to sort the keel, buy an outboard (Yamaha 4hp - the perfect engine) and get Jeckells to make me a new mainsail.  That lot cost me around £1500, but I now have a really great boat with a good trailer.  I have had the boat for around 10 years now and I'm still impressed by how well she sails!  My bigger boat is a 23' Westerly and the Seahawk outsails her!  

I have seen some decent Seahawks for sale recently for around £800 complete with trailers - well worth the investment, rather than shell out lots of money on getting a Pedro hull back sailing.  

Good luck finding the right boat!

Brian
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pedro 17

In reply to this post by Luna 17
Hi Dawn,

Please edit the subject line of your post (Visit: More > Edit post) to show your name. I can then add you to the alphabetical list of users and give you "Member" status that will allow you to post elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks, in advance!

And I should add, if you haven't already paid for her, you wouldn't regret following Brian's recommendation!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography