Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Finally able to go out for a few days

ReneDirks
After dealing with too many health issues it seems we're finally able to go out sailing a few days. Weather in the coming days should cooperate as well. The boat really needs a good paint job but will have to wait.

According to sails and tag boat nr = 352, the boom uses the key hole pattern for the kicking strap like you describe on the Reedcraft models, but has a Holt Allen tag attached to it. The gooseneck is the same, but the hardware a bit different. The mast uses the vertically aligned pulleys like on Moore's.

Greg, since I have the boat in the open now, if there's any specific pictures you need let me know please.

Greetings
Rene

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Finally able to go out for a few days

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Rene,
ReneDirks wrote
Greg, since I have the boat in the open now, if there's any specific pictures you need let me know please.
Many thanks for those pictures. I will definitely use them. I may well take you up on the offer of more, but it could be a month off.

I'm currently working on a complete re-build of the site so it is "mobile-friendly" and can be used easily on a phone or tablet.

I've just about got a new menu system in place and now need to re-code every page before uploading the new site. Part of the rebuild will mean that just about every link on the site will break, so this is the first warning about being prepared for the change. I'll post more information under a special topic when the change gets near.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

ReneDirks
GregSeaHawk wrote
Hi Rene,
I'm currently working on a complete re-build of the site so it is "mobile-friendly" and can be used easily on a phone or tablet.
Time to switch to Wordpress perhaps? The site will be the 13th in a dozen, migrating will be a pain (always is, just finished a database migration with 700K+ records) - but then you're all set for a while. Of course coding plain HTML has its charm, but is very tedious.

If you don't mind the lack of paint on the inside of the boat I'll take a few shots the coming week as well (currently raining cats and dogs).

Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Rene,
ReneDirks wrote
Time to switch to Wordpress perhaps? The site will be the 13th in a dozen, migrating will be a pain (always is, just finished a database migration with 700K+ records) - but then you're all set for a while. Of course coding plain HTML has its charm, but is very tedious.
Switching to WordPress wouldn't have helped that much, certainly not with enlarging virtually all of the 592 images now on the site. It also wouldn't have stopped me having to learn about producing pages to handle 404 Errors or 301 Redirects, which I think I have now cracked!

I hate the "no coding required" tools that are available these days. They hide you from understanding how things really work. Their automated visual approach leads to bloated code which results in poor handling different sized screens and poor performance generally. On top of that it would have been a whole new thing for me to learn when I have all the HTML and CSS knowledge I need to produce an effective mobile-friendly site.

I also wanted to use the rebuild as a way of forcing me to learn to use PHP more effectively. I knew I'd end up reworking the main menu countless times as I tried to bring material together that has become rather scattered across well over the 100 pages that comprise the site.

Also, since March, I've abandoned Windows and switched to a box running Linux Mint so there's been much else to learn getting to grips with the new operating system and new tools to work with.

However, I have now completed the basic work on the site and you can expect the revised version to appear before next week, although as I write I realise I haven't yet made use of your photographs in this topic.

Watch out for a major announcement in the What's New on the Site topic - coming real soon!
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Rene,
GregSeaHawk wrote
I have now completed the basic work on the site and you can expect the revised version to appear before next week, although as I write I realise I haven't yet made use of your photographs in this topic.
Disregard that remark. Your photos have been incorporated into the revised site that will be uploaded.
Greg Chapman