Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Forehatch Access

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In the For Sale Area of the forum there's been a question:
Do you find the fore-hatch accessible, this is very important to me.
later explaining:
Access to the fore-hatch would need to be from inside the boat as I don't want to go over the cabin top.
So here's some photos of me, a six footer, trying it on his boat.

Standing in the forehatch, I feel quite secure when throwing a mud weight over the bows, which I feel is somewhat more likely to send you overboard than rigging the foresail:

Greg in Forehatch
The second image shows how I stand on a small low level platform built into the bows on my boat. I can do this comfortably for extended periods, such as when rigging the foresail. By comparison, standing on the steeply sloping hull that I used to have to do was, literally, a pain.

This image also shows how the position of the board that forms the anchor locker is positioned so it is easier to lift a mud weight through the hatch even when standing in it. The board is also strong enough to form a step when coming down from the deck, which I will sometimes do. I did once consider adding a lip to the rim of the locker to make stepping on it comfortable, but decided that would just be something for the mud weight to get caught on, so decided against it:

Greg in Forehatch
As a six footer you do have to be moderately agile to climb into the fore hatch from below. That's one reason for making the platform as low as possible. While making the locker under it deeper provides more storage, for a tall guy access becomes much more difficult and there would be less support for your body when standing on it when throwing an anchor or mud weight overboard.

Greg Accessing Forehatch
When returning below, I usually turn aft before ducking down. Sometimes I'll go up backwards too. It depends on mood, tiredness and state of my back!

Greg Accessing Forehatch
Note how my platform is slightly below the level of the quarter-berths. This means that on a four-berth boat you would stand a little higher in the hatch. However, access itself might be a little easier as you wouldn't have the galley moulding to contend with when turning and the cushions found in most four-berth boats would make the process more comfortable.

Just 17 Cabin
For the sake of completeness, the final image shows the cabin fittings, including my removable draining board extension to my home-built sink unit. while sailing this drops into brackets on the starboard side of the cabin.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Forehatch Access

laidback
Dear Greg,
Excellent series of photos that illustrate the potential perfectly. I really love the final photo with your draining board in place, such luxury.
Many thanks
David
Reply | Threaded
|

laidback
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Dear Greg,
I'm thinking of coming up your way to visit Wayford Marine who have Nancy Blacket for sale. Would it be possible to see your boat on the same visit?
Are you free during the daytime, I am.
Kindest Regards
David
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi David,
laidback wrote
I'm thinking of coming up your way to visit Wayford Marine who have Nancy Blacket for sale. Would it be possible to see your boat on the same visit?
Are you free during the daytime, I am.
I am sending an email to respond, rather than posting here.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography