Introduction

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Introduction

waterville
Hi, I've just collected my first Seahawk which has, I believe, spent the last few years on the North Norfolk coast. It is sail number 314 and seems to be a reasonably standard 2 berth Reedcraft boat without a tabernacle, just a standard step. I've got a small file of history with the boat going back 15 years.

I'm currently doing a bit of maintenance and familiarisation, and preparing for the Boat Safety Cert. She'll be spending her days on the River Bure when I sort out a mooring.

Cheers,

Barry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Introduction

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Barry,

I'd love to know more of the history of Leda, if you can share anything you know.

I have some photographs of her dated April 2012, which I believe came from an advert I saw posted somewhere on the Net early last year. Here's two of them...

Leda #314

Leda #314

Looking forward to anything you can report.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

waterville
Hi Greg,

Your first photo is probably the best that I have of her, I haven't taken any myself as yet. I know you like to see the insides, so here is the best shot I have, so far:-

In terms of simple history, the chap that sold to me bought her in late 2005. The prior owner bought an outboard in '99 and a new Mainsail (from Kemps) in 2003. I think he must have bought it in at the start of '98 as he also had a "Condition Report" on her which said "this boat will give many more years of pleasure to its new owner"!! The file has Marketing leaflets from Pyefleet, but it's clearly (I think) a Reedcraft boat of much earlier vintage.

When the new sail was ordered, it was specified with sail number 314 which makes it more likely to be the boat's genuine sail number. I have all the order details/measurements for the sail. The owner before me also had a new trailer built and I have the plans/dimensions for that.

Leda appears in very good shape (to my dumb eyes!) in original gel coat. She came with two mainsails, 3 jibs (1 roller reefing, 2 hanks) and a spinnaker and pole (which may be interesting to try out!).

Cheers,

Barry
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Barry,

Thanks for that picture. It's not one that's in my collection.

I agree that Leda is a classic Reedcraft boat. The cockpit lockers and jib sheet cleats tell us that. The sail number is added evidence, dating her between 1975 and 1976. Others have told how they acquired their boats with brochures that were clearly much later than the boat itself, so getting Pyefleet leaflets with yours is not a surprise.

I would dearly like to see those trailer papers as they would help with a frequently asked question on the forum. At the very least I'd like to know if your papers tie up with the measurements given on the Trailers Page. Apart from the side view of Leda that I posted earlier, the best picture I have of your trailer is this one:

Leda #314

Unfortunately, all the images I have have been sized down to 640px. If you have acquired original full sized ones, then I'd also be very grateful to receive them as well.

As you plan to sail the northern rivers of the Broads and I live close to Stalham, would it be possible to arrange to meet up so I could glean all the details of your trailer and even make copies? Photographs are somewhat easier to email!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography