Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kismet's Keel Lifting Apparatus Unvieled

Tom Altee
After 40 years confinement it seems rusted beyond repair.  Flaking in sheets.  What we intend, unless contradicted here with better advice, is to drill through the keel apparatus tabernacle in the berth area and bolting it through permanently fixing the swing keel in the up position.  Or do we have a misunderstanding of how the system works?  Keel   
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kismet's Keel Lifting Apparatus Unvieled

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Tom,

Surfed (Tom Altee) wrote
After 40 years confinement it seems rusted beyond repair.  Flaking in sheets.
I'd agree, that looks beyond repair - but not beyond replacement.
What we intend, unless contradicted here with better advice, is to drill through the keel apparatus tabernacle in the berth area and bolting it through permanently fixing the swing keel in the up position.  Or do we have a misunderstanding of how the system works?
That would certainly fix the keel - at the risk of creating leaks!

The keel swings on the bolt seen in your lower two photographs (These also reveal that you have a later Reedcraft boat with encapsulated ballast). The aft end of the keel should drop 18" and be held by the strop and handle you photographed earlier. Nothing could be simpler.

The links I gave you earlier show you the general shape of the keel, how it is suspended and component parts:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/description/keel.htm
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boatshed/keelcorengrato.htm

Rather than secure the keel raised, I would urge you to cut through the hinge bolt (between the GRP and steel trapezoidal plates) and do your best to remove the keel plate and have a new one made to the pattern of the original. An Irish owner had a new plate made after buying a SeaHawk with a keel plate that had snapped in two. It is certainly not a difficult fabrication for a average metal worker.

I would urge you to consider a proper repair. You'll then have a boat that will sail as intended and one that you will find much more rewarding.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Tom,

Looking again at those photographs, it would appear that the keel has been deliberately jammed in the up position by forcing plywood slabs down each side of the keel plate. Remove them and see if the keel then swings properly. It might even be possible to take a spanner to the bolts at the front too and lower the keel from the boat with little difficulty.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Excellent advice.  Will follow advice.  Query Mr. Holmes...how did you deduce the plywood shims?
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Surfed (Tom Altee) wrote
how did you deduce the plywood shims?
I'm no Mr Holmes!

As I said, I just took a look again at that third photo in the sequence.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Apparent on return inspection!