Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Launching at Thurne

Tony Campbell
Hi, I am planning to cruise the Broads in May 2011 and it has been suggested that the slip at Thurne will be suitable to launch my SeaHawk.
Has anybody any experience or knowledge of this slip and also the parking situation for car and trailer for a couple of weeks?.  I see there is a pub there but as I will be not staying in that area, it would be a little cheeky to ask them!
Tony
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Launching at Thurne

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Tony,

Rather than Thurne, I would recommend Martham Boat Building. As a yard that offers both boat hire and moorings they are better set up for prolonged car/trailer parking. The satellite images on Google are out of date. The waterfront building has been pulled down and there is now a large modern shed in the empty area south of it.

The diagonally set slipway is wide and deep enough not to have any fear of running out of ramp before you drop your trailer off the end. They haul their 40ft hire cruisers out there.

The photograph showing my Successful Launch in 2004 was taken there. The quay heading was renewed last year and the concrete was ready to be relaid when I last passed by in October.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography