Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mast support

Edmondsley
Has anyone come across a Sea Hawk with a wooden support directly under the mast going straight down to the floor of the boat?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mast support

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Barry,

Edmondsley wrote
Has anyone come across a Sea Hawk with a wooden support directly under the mast going straight down to the floor of the boat?
No! But a stainless steel pole is not unknown. See Sisters and Bantam's Drift.  

I believe it's been done for a number of reasons. In the case of Bantam's drift, it was part of a conversion from two to four berth. Another made the conversion as part of a roof repair, when the balsa core rotted because of a leak. That owner disliked the traditional bulkheads and A-frame support to the mast.

However, I have not previously had a report of a wooden pole. I'm no naval architect, but, with the right grade of timber I see no reason why an appropriate wooden support should not be sufficient to do the job necessary. See the Mast Bracing page.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Edmondsley
In reply to this post by Edmondsley

Wooden central mast support on a Seahawk 17
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Barry,

Interesting. I did a quick search and found this SeaHawk advertised on the site your image was grabbed from:
http://www.2dehands.be/boten/zeilboten/kajuitzeiljachten/seahawk-17-138011498.html
but that doesn't show your picture.

Is your's a recent image?
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography