classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My mast

Cpt kirk
This post was updated on .
I have had the opportunity to set things up before i commit to making a hole through my mast and i would like some feed back as to the angle that i think looks correct.

The front stay had a turnbuckle but i felt it is too long and removed it then i used a bit of cord to hold it in position. I would appreciate any ones thoughts.

Thanks kirk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My mast

brian johnson
It's difficult to tell from photographs, but I would say that your mast needs to have a bit of backward rake i.e. the forestay needs to be a tad longer to bring the top of the mast back by say around 6".  What do others think?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My mast

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Brian's right on two counts!

1. It's difficult to tell from photographs where the waterline is and hence when the mast is considered vertical. (It's also somewhat arbitrary in the real world, since having of crew and kit on board will change it.)

2. John Bennett's design calls for a rake of 6" in the mast.

David Cornabee, who was one of those who contemplated commencing building SeaHawks again after Pyecraft ceased manufacture, passed me an original blueprint which formed the basis for most of the the images used in the Yachting World article. The magazine "cleaned up" the images removing some of the text and other marks that would have been impossible to read at the size printed in the magazine. The original clearly shows a 6" rake on the mast.

The print I have comes from drawing of Design 477/4 and was one of a number that David was supplied with and date stamped 22 March 2004. Unfortunately it is very browned with age and it's been a struggle to get something legible from my scanner and at this scale...

Mast Rake
Interestingly, there are a red ink marks on it scoring through the boom and a note "See 477/5". This is a reference to the Mk 6 boat that is recorded on the Sails Page.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography