New Sails Have Arrived

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Sails Have Arrived

My new sails are in.  Tom at Wind Dancer Sails kitted me out with a great deal.  A customer never picked up a mizzen sail for a 52'.  The measurements were exactly what was needed for a Seahawk 17.  All he had to do was make the jib and I was good to go.  I drew and added in an Osprey/Seahawk as a logo for the top of the mainsail. 6 1/2 ply with three full battens.  A little stiffer and heavier than what she would normally take but at half price it was a done deal! The lettering artist will be by later this week to paint her name in gold leaf on the bow and her home Jacksonville, Florida on the stern.  She'll be in the water soon.  Everyone here is chomping at the bits to give her a go. Can't wait.

brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Sails Have Arrived

Now that is an excellent logo Tom!  Better than the original that looks like a demented dragon's head!
Hopefully we'll get some pics soon of Osprey on the St Johns River ;)
Brian

To: brian johnson <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, 10 February 2015, 17:15
Subject: New Sails Have Arrived

My new sails are in.  Tom at Wind Dancer Sails kitted me out with a great deal.  A customer never picked up a mizzen sail for a 52'.  The measurements were exactly what was needed for a Seahawk 17.  All he had to do was make the jib and I was good to go.  I drew and added in an Osprey/Seahawk as a logo for the top of the mainsail. 6 1/2 ply with three full battens.  A little stiffer and heavier than what she would normally take but at half price it was a done deal! The lettering artist will be by later this week to paint her name in gold leaf on the bow and her home Jacksonville, Florida on the stern.  She'll be in the water soon.  Everyone here is chomping at the bits to give her a go. Can't wait.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/New-Sails-Have-Arrived-tp4024304.html
To start a new topic under Kismet, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SeaHawk Forum, click here.
NAML

Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

Thanks Brian.  It's a Seahawk in England and an Osprey or "fish eagle" here. Or a Skua.  I like Osprey as a name that fits in with the boat.  Anything you can give me on how she'll handle? It's a guessing game here... Does she go upwind well?  Her cockpit is low walled.  Will she have a dry cockpit?  
brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Tom
We have ospreys here too, mostly breeding in Scotland and the north of England. 
You will I hope be pleasantly surprised by how she'll handle.  Seahawks tend to stiffen up as they heel with a bit of weather helm in a strong blow.  She'll sail upwind very well providing your sails are roughly balanced as the originals i.e. the ratio of the jib area to the mainsail area is similar.  These boats tack really easily as they have enough weight to drive through the wind.  If the wind is especially strong (over F4) then you'll need a reef in the main and some jib furled or you'll end up with more weather helm than you'd want.  Someone on here (Lakesailor?) modified his rudder to get a more balanced helm and it seems to have worked well. 
The cockpit will be dry unless you are doing something heroic - my Seahawk punches into rough seas in Lyme Bay and Cornwall and rarely ships a sea. 
Have fun!
Brian

To: brian johnson <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, 10 February 2015, 20:22
Subject: Re: New Sails Have Arrived

Thanks Brian.  It's a Seahawk in England and an Osprey or "fish eagle" here. Or a Skua.  I like Osprey as a name that fits in with the boat.  Anything you can give me on how she'll handle? It's a guessing game here... Does she go upwind well?  Her cockpit is low walled.  Will she have a dry cockpit?  

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/New-Sails-Have-Arrived-tp4024304p4024306.html
To start a new topic under Kismet, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SeaHawk Forum, click here.
NAML

Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

Everyone who has clambered over her has commented on how solidly she is built - like a Matilda Tank.  But her lines are so graceful. I had a whole boatyard of jaded boatmen asking about her daily. All want a sail when she watered off the dry. Pictures soon!