classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Non-Slip Pads for Deck and Cabin Top

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
It's getting close to the point where I will refit my boat after its repaint.

I want to replace the original "sandpaper" non-slip pads with something similar. My local chandlers don't seem to be able to offer material wider than 230mm and I need something wider than that to create the triangular pads on the fore deck.

I want to avoid the rubber decking with large deep diamond shaped blocks but might consider other lower profile rubbery surfaces.

Currently I'm looking at:
http://www.heskins.com

They have responded to my request saying:
========================================
H3401 Grey Std Safety walk 1000mm x 1000mm @ £32.00 each

Shipping @ £9.50

All prices are subject to VAT  
========================================

from which to cut out the two roughly triangular shaped pieces on the fore deck, the pair of long strips for the cabin-top angled treads, which some owners bold a hand rail to, and four rectangular pieces, two of which go beside the mast and two in the cockpit.

As the long strips are approximately 120cm and will need to be cut diagonally, I'm not sure I'll be able to get all the pieces I need at the size I want from a metre square, but have yet to check.

What have others used?
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Non-Slip Pads for Deck and Cabin Top

brian johnson
Greg

I've always used a deck paint I make by mixing coloured paints until I get the right shade, then adding some fine kiln dried sand - the stuff used for 'grouting' pavers on driveways.  The advantage is that it's easy to apply, easy to touch up any damage, amd if you use the right sand it feels comfortable to walk on with bare feet!   I just mask up the shape I want then paint it on and leave for a couple of days.  One coat lasts for a couple of years.

Brian