classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ole Heegaard (Denmark)

Ole Heegaard
This post was updated on .
I found this Seahawk in Denmark up for sale in and just bought it. I expect to have it cleaned soon and everything seems to be original? Its sails No. 341 and the plate in the cabin is written on a metal plate 5579 341
Can you tell from the year of manufacture, etc..

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ole Heegaard Denmark

brian johnson
Nice boat Ole!  Looks like a four berth from the mid to late 70s.  I like the mainsheet arrangement with a lockable track.  Perhaps a Reedcraft boat but Greg may know more about where it was made.  What are your plans for sailing the boat?  
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ole Heegaard (Denmark)

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ole Heegaard
Hi Ole,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I got married on Saturday. The reception was held at home and the last of the family members has only just left to return home, so I have been rather distracted from SeaHawk business.
Ole Heegaard wrote
I found this Seahawk in Denmark up for sale in and just bought it. I expect to have it cleaned soon and everything seems to be original? Its sails No. 341 and the plate in the cabin is written on a metal plate 5579 341
Can you tell from the year of manufacture, etc..
Dating a SeaHawk is difficult as is explained at:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/description/dating.htm

Given the sail number you mention it is possible to be what this site calls a "crossover boat" with some features of the earlier Reedcraft boat but built by Moores. See:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/history/index.htm#moore

Currently, the earliest known crossover boat has sail number #343. Search the site for "Traffs" and "Wintin" and see if your boat closely matches either of these. If so, your boat is likely to be built in 1977 which is when Moores appears to have taken over building SeaHawks.

Unfortunately, you seem to have removed the images of the boat that Brian mentions. If you are having problems in posting images then please refer to:
http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/Inserting-Images-in-the-Forum-td1599211.html
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Heegaard
In reply to this post by brian johnson
Hi
Sailing with sailing boat is completely new to me. A few years ago I had a Pedro 17 with a 10 hp outboard motor. The used my children and I to small cozy trips.
There was no mast and sail and often thought that it hunne be fun to do it in original condition.
I sold it, however, and now fell upon this Seahawk there appears to be complete and original.
It is also just for small fun trips with my children and wife, and to have learned to sail this boat with sails.
Ole
Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
Hi Ole
You have picked the perfect boat for learning to sail!  Seahawks are very stable because they are keel boats, and have a large cockpit, so the family will feel safe.  These boats also sail well into the wind. This means that your best efforts will be rewarded with a real response from the boat!  Have fun!
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Ole,

Thanks for adding the picture to your first post, though this one doesn't seem to be the one that Brian saw as it is impossible to make out the main sheet arrangement.

The picture I now see does not have the standard Moore's jib sheet winches. That suggests that yours is not a "Crossover boat" and is a little earlier than that and built by Reedcraft. However, it is always possible that a previous owner removed the winches. A view of the cockpit would be better, but now you have had a chance to read the pages on dating a SeaHawk and the history of the boat you may have worked out a better answer to the question of when your boat was built.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Heegaard
Hi
Thank you
I have a link to the pictures I took when I first saw the boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/g0lsno748lm1psp/AADk0WtygiGY2NOH0KhMJqX3a

Best regards
Ole
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Hi Ole,

I also meant to ask ...

Have you given your boat a name, or are you going to use the existing one, and what is that?
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Heegaard
The boat has no name. Must just clean it and looked after :-) I must have given it a name but which name I do not know yet. I have two boys, Benjamin and Bertram. 
Someone who has a good suggestion for a name? :-)

Ole

Den 16. sep. 2015, GregSeaHawk [via SeaHawk Forum] <[hidden email]> skrev:

Hi Ole,

I also meant to ask ...

Have given your boat a name, or are you going to use the existing one, and what is that?
Greg Chapman

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/Ole-Heegaard-Denmark-tp4024502p4024515.html
To unsubscribe from Ole Heegaard (Denmark), click here.
NAML