Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Original Mast?

Tom Altee
I'm having the rigger professionally do her up as I type. I took a couple of pics of the name plate on the mast. Is it original to this Reed Craft? South Hampton seems readable and that would be on your side of the pond.  What say members of the forum?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Original Mast?

Tom Altee
That would be "Northhampton".
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Tom,

Certainly, "SS Spars" were the original suppliers of Reedcraft boats. Moores seemed to use Holt.

I've just been to inspect my mast. Up till now I had failed to recognise that it had a plaque like yours. That's because mine is completely unreadable. All that remains are the stamped numbers.

This accounts for why I only have an image of the blue and gold badge mounted a little higher on the mast on the site. I had not realised the significance of the riveted plaque.

Enlarging your image and playing with the contrast, reveals that the line appears to read "Rushden Northampton". Rushden is a small town in Northamptonshire, about 15 miles east of Northampton itself. I had always wondered where SS Spars were based. Interesting too, as Northamptonshire is in the Midlands, about as far from the sea as you can get.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Very interesting Greg. My original question remains - How in the world did this boat ever get to America?  Container ship?  Some plucky though certainly mad Brit sailing her across?

Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Might there be significance in the stamped numbers?
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Tom Altee
Tom,

It's one of those eternal mysteries, isn't it! That said, pretty much every tiny boat that I have read about that crossed the Atlantic (madness) has had a lot of modification to fit buoyancy, guard rails, lifelines, etc. Also, they seem to get stripped out to the bare minimum inside to fit all the food.

So, given that you've done so much work in it, does it look like that has ever happened? If not, then I suspect container is the answer, especially since it would pretty much fit perfectly into a 20ft shipping container, trailer and all!

But hey, keep looking, you never know what you might find.

Perry

Sent from my iPad
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Tom,
Surfed (Tom Altee) wrote
My original question remains - How in the world did this boat ever get to America?  Container ship?  Some plucky though certainly mad Brit sailing her across?
I should have said ages ago that I back the container ship idea.

"mad Brits" are likely to have attracted some form of publicity or reason for attempting such a crossing and I'm sure that I would have recalled any TV coverage of such a venture, as I would have taken an interest in any SeaHawk following my father's purchase of one new in 1973.

Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Tom,
Surfed (Tom Altee) wrote
Might there be significance in the stamped numbers?
Almost certainly! But I fear the only people who could reveal the significance would be an employee of the long gone "SS Spars".
Greg Chapman