Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Out of my depth!!!

Toothless
So, I recently bought what turns out to be a seahawk 17 "project" boat, thinking it would be good for taking kids out fishing, I had no idea what it was, but it looked a good size for what I wanted.

Turns out I am way out of my depth with it and was hoping someone here could help me figure out what its worth so it can go to someone who will do it justice, its been sorely neglected, the inboard is seized solid and the propshaft is bent, it needs some repairs to the keel where its obviously been beached then left full of water, it is going to need the interior repaired, the floor has been broken out, but I am told it is an easy job for someone who knows their stuff, there are no sails but the mast, boom and most of the rigging are all there. The rudder is missing as well.

I dont have many pics at the moment but will add some soon.

I have taken the engine out and started stripping it down, not sure if it will work again or not.

It is sitting on a homemade "yard" trailer to move it around as needs be but wouldnt recommend using it on the road.

Any help or advice on rehoming her would be appreciated, I will answer any questions as best I can, but I really dont know much about it, kind of bought it blind, it arrived on a flatbed with mast etc tied on top. I thought I had bought a little cabin cruiser, turns out to be a sailboat! Lol

Thanks folks20210608_151026.jpg20210608_153249.jpg20210619_132157.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Out of my depth!!!

mjseahawk
It's most probably not what you would like to hear but it's most probably worthless. I would have a go at stripping it down and selling the mast etc, then scrap it. Sounds like far too much work for a boat that's not worth too much even in a good condition. That's my opinion, others may disagree.
Reply | Threaded
|

Toothless
Hi, yeah, I kinda figured that to be honest, so I think I will stick with plan A, and patch it up, stick an outboard on it and use it for fishing with the kids, should be a nice stable wee thing, and plenty room for the kids to have some fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
I'd be very reluctant to say worthless but, certainly, there's a limited market. An inboard means it's rare, but for most that's a feature that gets in the way, rather than increases value. I'd love to know if it's an example I know about. Is there any trace of a name it's previously been known by?

The talk of a lifted floor in the cabin could suggest an early example, with exposed, and now moving ballast that prevents the keel from lifting and dropping as it should. That shouldn't matter too much for your intended use. Certainly, you'll find her stable and suitable to have for kids aboard.

If you're handy with engine repairs then you may find a part restored example could be of interest to engine collectors who would love to get hold of an example. I haven't checked recently, but the engine fan site has moved address a few times.

Certainly there are people who seek masts and other rigging items on this site, but they don't pop up all the time.

So my suggestion would be to fix up the boat for your immediate needs, but do consider starting a new hobby as a boat restorer! A fully restored inboard engined SeaHawk would be a joy to see, but I will confess to not being in the market for one myself!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Toothless
I have spoken to a friend of mine who is a boat builder, and he rackoms the wee boat is not as bad as it looks at first, a couple of days work on the hull will see her back onto the water, and while the cabin is in need of a lot of work, it is still structurally sound, so she has some good points! Lol

As for a name or any history on the boat, there is nothing so far to identify her, apart from a faded out permit sticker on the front window dated '88-89, I think its Norfolk, but to be honest I havent looked at it properly yet.

I have started working on the engine, and a few of the guys at the boat yard seem to think it will run again, despite having been under eater for a very long time and being seized solid! I have already had a couple of offers for it if I can get it to turn over, so theres an incentive to work on it.

Unfortunately I cant honestly see myself doing a full restoration on her, I have never sailed a day in my life, and I dont see me learning any time soon lol, but never say never! The mast etc are in storage now, and I will leave all the fittings on when I tidy up the paintwork.

For what I paid, and the amout of work to make her funtional as a little cabin cruiser type thing, I really cant complain, and certainly couldnt buy anything close to her for size etc!