2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Paul Tuck

hydrotec78
This post was updated on .
Hi there

My name is Paul and I've been a boat lover ever since my father brought our first boat on the Norfolk broads, anyway for years I have been waiting for the kids to get to an age where I can get back in to sailing. And as a kid I have always wanted a seahawk and to my surprise after finding one on eBay (which brought me to this site) I found a picture of the boat that I feel in love with at the age of five ! Pip 11 owned buy tim ? She was moored behind our boat 'missed again ' for as long as I can remember in cat field dyke on hicking broad, if its the same one that is !

As for the boat on eBay dose anybody know what sort of trailer I would get way using just to bring her home so I could carry out a full refit if I was to win the auction? I plan to keep her back at catfield if theres space so the trailer would not be used more than twice.

I would prefer to buy a 'project / do her upper' boat as I would like to fit her out in a way which works for us. And as these boats are easy to sail it would be a great way for my girls to learn how to sail and take in the great scenery of the Norfolk broads just like I did when I was a boy.

Any help you could offer will be greatly recived.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Paul Tuck

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

hydrotec78 wrote
I found a picture of the boat that I feel in love with at the age of five ! Pip 11 owned buy tim ?
Indeed Pip II was owned by Tim Stringer and kept by him in Catfield Dyke. I recall that he sold it twice but bought it back each time. He sold her for the third time a couple of years back.

I blame Tim for persuading me to become a SeaHawk owner. It was he who spoke up for the boat when I was considering a range of rival craft as I thought I wanted something a little more modern and speedy than the same boat that my father owned.
As for the boat on eBay dose anybody know what sort of trailer I would get way using just to bring her home so I could carry out a full refit if I was to win the auction? I plan to keep her back at catfield if theres space so the trailer would not be used more than twice.
Chichester to Catfield is a long journey for a "get away with it" trailer. You really do need a trailer that will:

# Provide support under the main keel
(There's a lot of weight in it. I wouldn't want my boat only supported under the main hull)

# Ensure the boat stays upright
(i.e. Support under the two bilge fins)

# Ensure the boat won't slip sideways
(Normally achieved by flanges on bilge fin supports)

Does "would not be used more than twice" mean twice a year? A boat is not just a "do it up once" project. It will need regular annual maintenance - There's a lot more wood than standard on the sloop "John B", and even simple rubbing down and varnishing is not always easily done on a mooring. It is much better to have it at home or in a nearby barn, warehouse or garage.
I would prefer to buy a 'project / do her upper' boat as I would like to fit her out in a way which works for us.
A good plan. Doing work on your own boat really does make you bond with it - or so I have found.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography