10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Perry Wald

Perry
This post was updated on .
Hi all,

So my name is perry, my partner is dena, and we have just become the proud owners of a seahawk 17, piccolo. This is the one Greg mentioned was for sale on eBay.

So, we haven't actually picked it up yet (trailer needed a little work to get it safe for the road) but we are hoping to get it in the next couple of weeks. Deposit paid, trailer fixed, and its now just waiting for us.

Why a seahawk? Well, I grew up sailing dinghies, and more recently, dena and I have done a fair bit of yachting in bigger stuff (32-35 ft). But, we decided it was time to get something of our own.

We started with the simple stuff...what it had to have. Tat came down to (a) enough cover to make a cup of tea in from the rain, and space for a portapotti, and also something that would fit on our driveway. After extensive measuring, it came down to 17 ft as the limit for boat size, with 20ft as the limit for trailer+boat.

That left us with some bilge keel options (to high, blocked the front windows of the house), some single keel options (not towing that), some dinghies (where to put the portapotti?) and a handful of 17 ft lifting keel boats, like seahawk, skipper, etc.

Well, I don't white understand why people say the looks of the seahawk play against it...we looked at some, and by far and away the prettiest was the seahawk. Now I admit I grew up with tideway lap strake boats, so I have an affection for the look, but it was also a lot friendlier inside.

So we have all sorts of plans, things we want to do etc, but the first task is to tow it 100 miles home, and then find a slipway nearby we can practice launching and landing.

Anything else? Please say hi, let me know, and help inspire me....photos of interiors are my thing right now...what should I do to it.

Thanks

Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Perry W

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Perry,

Welcome to the forum!

So we have all sorts of plans, things we want to do etc, but the first task is to tow it 100 miles home, and then find a slipway nearby we can practice launching and landing.

Anything else? Please say hi, let me know, and help inspire me....photos of interiors are my thing right now...what should I do to it.
Mmm! A hundred miles from Rutland Water! Could mean you're bringing Piccolo back to the Broads? I take it you've seen the collection of images at:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boatshed/cabins.htm
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry
Thanks for the welcome, name updated!

So, yes, I have seen the customisations, and pippin really appeals to us (and not just cos its the name of one of our cats!)

Not sure where the original layout of out boat came from. It's a 2 berth, but has an all wood built in unit on the RIGHT, with no sink, and a sea toilet on the LEFT but not venting straight out below, but rather bolted to a plinth.

Our aim will be to start by removing all of that, and see what we can do with the space afterwards. We have purchased the smallest portapotti available, and that will need to fit in somewhere. Beyond that, we know we want to remove the cooker, and use those "at table" mini gas rings, which seem so much easier to handle.

Anyway, looks like it will still be some time before I can pick the boat up, but hopefully we will have it soon.

As for location, I would love it to be the broads, but its actually 100 miles south, to London. That said, broads looks a very good option for first trials!

Will let you know more as things develop.

Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Perry,
Perry wrote
Thanks for the welcome, name updated!
And I've adjusted things so that you're in the right alphabetical order.
Not sure where the original layout of out boat came from. It's a 2 berth, but has an all wood built in unit on the RIGHT, with no sink, and a sea toilet on the LEFT but not venting straight out below, but rather bolted to a plinth.
Being bolted to a plinth is normal. See:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/description/cabin.htm#toilets
I'm still waiting for a better view of an "Elsan plinth". (Young Christopher is now in his mid-thirties!)  What is unique - is having the toilet sited to port. At least I do not know of another. And that would account for the lack of sink - no galley moulding available!
Our aim will be to start by removing all of that, and see what we can do with the space afterwards. We have purchased the smallest portapotti available, and that will need to fit in somewhere.
You'll have seen how on Imagination, now renamed Just 17, I created an extended plinth on which I planned to stow my Porta Potti. The reality is I normally stow it in the quarter berths as it gets in the way when seated on the plinth using the cooker. Since the photos of Imagination were taken I have added more shelving and a removable draining board/serving area, which can be seen at:
http://greg-afloat.969558.n3.nabble.com/Just-17-The-Cabin-Completed-td3341450.html
In fact, the cabin isn't yet "fully completed". Now that Diana and I overnight aboard still more storage is required.

Next winter I plan to add more shelving and a stowage bin to starboard. The blog needs updating, as last year I also had a huge boom tent made and I need to record that development!

Incidentally, the main reason for carrying forward the "plinth" right into the bows was not for the small amount of storage room it gave but to provide a platform big enough to stand comfortably on. I can now throw the mud weight overboard without fear that I will follow it overboard. Recovering the mud weight, with my feet low on the cabin floor and my thighs supported by forehatch also makes it a much easier job.
Beyond that, we know we want to remove the cooker, and use those "at table" mini gas rings, which seem so much easier to handle.
I would have guessed that it would be best to keep the toilet to port, expanding the size of the plinth to take your Porta Potti. If you are sailing where the BSS applies, then you are probably wise to remove the existing cooker. I have no idea how you'd cope with the piping for the gas bottles. Those who want a two burner cooker would probably best go for a spirit stove - but they are rather expensive and you'd need to plan to do a lot of cooking to justify one.
As for location, I would love it to be the broads, but its actually 100 miles south, to London. That said, broads looks a very good option for first trials!
The BSS applies on the Thames, so do check out your plans before committing yourself.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Perry Wald

Perry
In reply to this post by Perry
Sail number 168!!!

So before I get new sails made does anyone know whether sail number 168 is in use by anyone else or is it really the sail number if my boat?

Any help appreciated

Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Perry,

Unfortunately, there is no definitive list of SeaHawk boats, or their sail numbers.

I know of around 125 boats, of perhaps 425 produced, and sail numbers for only about a third of the 125, so my data can hardly be considered complete. All I can say is that #168 is not a number I know to be in use.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry
Greg,

That's good enough for me...from now on, whether definitive or not, piccolo is a reedcraft seahawk, sail number 168. Given how baggy the sail is, I suspect its the original!

Thanks

Perry

Sent from my iPad
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Perry,

Corroboration, though not definitive dating, might be found at:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/description/dating.htm#sails

At #168 the sail maker logo should be of the 1970 type.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry
That's what's on the mainsail!

So I have a 1970 reedcraft seahawk, no 168, all matches the hull design as
well.

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Perry,

Perhaps more likely 1971 - on the basis of that page's estimate that around 70 boats a year were produced in the early years of production and production started around mid-1969!
Greg Chapman