classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Preparing cabin for customisation

Andy Lee
Hi All,
I am getting the cabin of my SeaHawk ready for customisation. The paintwork on the sides and ceiling of the cabin is flaking badly so I have gone over it with a scraper. I have included some photos. I was planning to wire brush next then put on a coat of stabiliser before priming and painting. Are there any products that owners have used previously? Any other advice on doing this?
Thanks,
Andy 
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Preparing cabin for customisation

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Believe it or not, I didn't use a primer but used Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood instead, on the cabin of Just 17 and I was well pleased with the results. It behaves very much like an emulsion, with little to no smell.

Just make sure the surface is cleaned well, has no flaking paint on it, and the marks I see in your photos are just the bare GRP, not mildew.

You'll see the Dulux web site only mentions usage on wood and metal, but I thought I'd try it as it claims self-undercoating and the can says it's touch dry in 30 minutes, which proved to be true. It recommends two coats. You can apply the second in six hours. That means you can spend the time waiting to apply the second coat doing any other work needed to be done in the cabin and at this time of year the job can be done in a day if the surface is already prepared.

It's also available in 750ml cans so you don't have to buy too much.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

mjseahawk
In reply to this post by Andy Lee
I hope to see the finished result. Once i've solved my leak problem I hope to improve some aesthetics myself as i've got a bit more time on my hands now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Lee
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Many thanks for the advice and encouragement.
I am going to try the Dulux Satinwood next week.
Stay safe and well,
Andy
Reply | Threaded
|

2011venator
In reply to this post by Andy Lee

Hi Andy.

My interior was awful the paint flaking got on my nerves as every trip ended covered with flakes of paint that got everywhere I sanded wire brushed etc etc but it didnt seem to make a lot of difference still got lots of flakes. In the end I got as much loose paint of then used this https://www.toolstation.com/zinsser-peel-stop-primer-paint/p44309 it was truly wonderful stuff I was much surprised at how well it worked. Then painted over the top with kitchen/bathroom paint it looks and feels much better and I highly recommend the Zinseer peel stop paint
Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Lee
Hi,
Many thanks for the advice.
I've actually stripped it all out with scraper and wire brush.
I than used the Dulux mentioned earlier in the thread.
It's come up great.
Next time I'll remember the Zinsser
Andy