classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Monty Monty
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SOLD - Pickle #180: nr Kingsbridge, Devon

This post was updated on .
Hello I am looking to find a new home for Pickle who's owner is no longer able to enjoy her delights.

Make: Small Yacht Seahawk (Moores of Wroxham)
Name: Pickle - Sail No 180
Hull Type: GRP/Fibreglass
Length: 17ft
Year: 1986
Engine: Yamaha

Currently mooring is Kingsbridge Estuary, South Devon.
No trailer

Buyer will need to either remove from mooring or collect from water as soon as possible after purchase.

£750

brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pickle #180: nr Kingsbridge, Devon

Hello
This doesn't look like a Moores boat to me. The sail number and general appearance of the boat points towards a Reedcraft boat from the early 1970s.  I own Mustang. sail number 178, a Reedcraft boat from 1973 or 74.  
Pickle looks to be sadly neglected - for example one of the side windows appears to have given way.  More details of the sails, the condition of the keel (does it move?) and the outboard would be useful. As a guide for price, boats in better condition on road trailers have sold for under £500 recently.
Good luck with a sale - she deserves to be saved.  I might be interested but the price would have to be more realistic.
Brian
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Brian,
brian johnson wrote
This doesn't look like a Moores boat to me. The sail number and general appearance of the boat points towards a Reedcraft boat from the early 1970s.
I agree! Included in that "general appearance" are the cockpit lockers, lack on Moore's style jib winches, lack of down-turn at the forward end of the cockpit guard rails and mast and boom, which look like SSS spars to me.

I frequently see brokers adverts for SeaHawks that claim Moores was the builder, when an experienced person will see that the example in question isn't. I think there must be a marine equivalent of Glass's Guide out there which doesn't mention Reedcraft.

The advertiser's other post opens the possibility that it is hoped that the seller will have a trailer available by the time of a sale.

It's always been a disappointment to me that SeaHawks don't fetch the same kind of money as a Swift 18, a boat I was keen on when I bought my SeaHawk, but now reckon would have been a poor purchase for me, a Broads sailor. The SeaHawk's old fashioned rig and easy lifting keel are so much better for shallow waters and narrow river work.

As to value, so much does depend presentation (it's harder to justify knocking down the price if you could be "proud to sail" rather than having a seller who claims she is "ready to sail") and whether you find a local buyer (Many are put off by having the tow a boat a long way on an elderly untested trailer). Being in a popular sailing area, especially where the boat is already popular, can help raise value enormously too.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Monty
Hi Greg
It's difficult to say what is actually for sale here!  There's an engine but what condition is it?  How many sails and how old?  Having restored my boat (that was in pretty good nick when I bought her) I think it would take many weeks work and some cost (rigging, sails?) to get Pickle back to a safe, dry and clean state.  
Having said that I absolutely agree that Seahawks are seriously undervalued.  People who have crewed for me are mightily impressed - we easily outran a Westerly Warwick and a Shrimper on a wild day in Cornwall this year but my crew was a senior RYA instructor!
All the best
Brian
Monty Monty
Reply | Threaded
|

The reason not posting more detail on Pickle is that we have been asked by the owners estate to dispose of Pickle and there is no one left who's knows any details about Pickle. All we have is an insurance document stating what she is. I have no idea on condition or what the engine is etc all I have is the photographs so this would be a punt for anyone unless the came and viewed.

Pickle has become neglected and needs someone to come and rescue her so any offers considered, no sensible offer refused”.

You could contact the harbour master directly at Kingsbridge Estuary to see if he could supply anymore information.

Note:Unfortunately there is no trailer available.
Monty Monty
Reply | Threaded
|