Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SeaHawk sails

Sea Scouter
Does anybody have any used sails for sale ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SeaHawk sails

ianhurley20
I'm not sure of the Seahawks correct sail dimensions, I'm sure they are listed on here somewhere, but when an Enterprise mast was compared it was the same sizes as the Seahawk. By checking other boats sail sizes you may find something that will be available cheaply that will match - Enterprise, GP 14 etc Alternatively a new set of Enterprise sails cost about 2/3rds of the Seahawks and will be very similar in sizes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SeaHawk sails

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm not sure that there is a definitive "correct" sail size. When I started the site I was a little coy about putting measurements on the site as Chris Jeckells had suggested, when I visited to go through their archives, that there was a certain amount of trade secret about some aspects of the measurements. I am more relaxed about that constraint now, but you still won't find definitive figures on the site, mainly because I no longer believe that there are any.

For example, early boats (those with black spars and those immediately afterwards) appear to have had a different mast that later Reedcraft boats, which didn't allow any adjustment in boom height. Later masts do.

If you look at the Sails page you should get a good idea of "acceptable" dimensions - although they may be a little hard to read from the images of the various sail plans. If you need specifics I'll check the originals and post them here.

Like Ian, I suspect Enterprise sails aren't a long way adrift, while Phil Brown, on his boating site, reports a main sail from an Osprey dinghy "fit perfectly".
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography