Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sense check please!

Moontrev
Hi, I own a lovely Seahawk which I keep on the broads, which I'm selling due to ill health.
In April I suffered a deep vein thrombosis, so have to give up sailing.
My problem is, is that my cabin is cluttered by my Mariner 3.5hp, and my Bison electric motor.
I need to get me 4 stroke off the boat, to allow prospective purchasers to examine the boat.
Although it only weighs around 30kg, it's too heavy for me to lift off the boat, so I've dreamed up the following idea....
If I lift the motor into the cockpit, unattach the main sheet from the transom, and loop it through the motor, then using the main sheet as a multi purchase, lift the motor from the cockpit,mane then go ashore,must the main sheet to pull the boom over to the land,mane then release the main sheet to land the motor onto the hard!
Do you think that the mast and boom would take this weight?
What are the potential risks to either the rig, the motor or to me?
Bearing in mind I'm currently operating with one one strong leg, and one very weak leg!
Many thanks in advance for any input you'd care to give!
Cheers
Trev
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sense check please!

brian johnson
Interesting idea Trev but in my opinion not at all sensible for a number of reasons:

1  You will be putting a large load on your rig, which I assume is not new.  The shrouds and fittings are not designed to take such a load. I would be especially concerned about the topping lift.

2 The turning force on the rig will heel the boat to an unknown amount.

3  You could easily end up with the motor in the water between you and the dock!

4  If you are proposing to do this alone - please don't!  At least take an able bodied person with you, preferably two, who should be able to lift the engine straight out of the boat.  If I were nearer (I'm in Devon) I would help you. I'm sure someone on the forum will be close enough to give you a hand.

Good luck

Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Moontrev
Good thinking Brian, it's very similar to what I was thinking, and the reason for my post.
Think I'll be taking your advice.
Thanks for taking time to reply, greatly appreciated
Cheers
Trec
Reply | Threaded
|

ianhurley20
Trev - where on the broads is your boat? I was thinking that I could pop over and lift the engine out for you, my Pirate had a similar engine and isn't as stable as the Seahawk so it should be no problem, I may even be able to rope in another helper who lives even closer than I do.
Ian