classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Shayne MacFaull

Shayne17
This post was updated on .
SEAHAWK 17 Good day, my name is Shayne, I have just purchased a lovely Seahawk 17. She is at present called Tilly, with a number on the side showing K248. Her BSS certificate shows she was built in 1976. Just arrived today, so more photos to follow. I intend to use her for coastal sailing around the North West coast of Scotland, out of the small port called Mallaig. She is powered by an Yamaha 4hp outboard....I am contemplating putting an inboard diesel engine in her? Any comments regarding this would be much appreciated. She has her original gelcoat, in superb condition inside and out. She was stored in Cannich in the Highlands of Scotland for a couple of years. A lovely vessel, looking forward to getting out on her. Cheers Shayne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Shayne MacFaull

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Shayne,
Shayne17 wrote
I have just purchased a lovely Seahawk 17. She is at present called Tilly, with a number on the side showing K248. Her BSS certificate shows she was built in 1976. Just arrived today, so more photos to follow.
K248 looked like a Broads registration number, so I looked on:
http://norfolk.broads.org.uk/boats/
and searched for that number. Sure enough she shows up as earlier being called "Babbler" with the sail #366 and later renamed "Tilly", last seen by Craig, the guy who maintains the database, in 1997.
I intend to use her for coastal sailing around the North West coast of Scotland, out of the small port called Mallaig.
If you get as far north as Ullapool, look up Mike Lowson (search for that name on the site) and look up his North Boats business. He may be able to help.
I am contemplating putting an inboard diesel engine in her?
I only recall a couple of people who have provided reports of the standard inboard engine, a Stuart Turner 1.5hp petrol model. They both were very happy with them, so I would imagine that a modern diesel could be a worthwhile conversion for a long term owner. However, I suspect it will add nothing to the value of the boat and may make it more difficult to sell.

I will see if I can restore some old Cruise Reports to the forum, which include one using that engine on a three week holiday on Loch Lomond.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography