Simple Bow Rigged Double Jib with Makeshift Whisker Boom

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Simple Bow Rigged Double Jib with Makeshift Whisker Boom

Todays sail: December 11, 2015 - Captain Jack Feeney sets up a simple bow rigged double jib makeshift whisker boom with the boat hook. The 110% Genoa was too big to use on the tack so he stood there as part of the boom holding out the whisker by way of example.

brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Simple Bow Rigged Double Jib with Makeshift Whisker Boom

This post was updated on .
Nice video guys!  I've done similar things using two standard jibs.   Have you tried a spinnaker?  I borrowed a small one from an Enterprise and it worked perfectly.  Much easier to tack but then I didn't have Cap'n Jack aboard!

Brian
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

Well Brian I'd love to have a little spinnaker for my SeaHawk.  But first I need a new Genoa. The 110 Jeckell is a little long in tooth at 45 years old bless it's heart. So I'm thinking maybe a new 120 or 130% Genoa and then a spinnaker.  I'm of the opinion that a 150% would be wayyy to much sail - what are your thoughts (Greg's or anyone else's with experience/knowledge) about carrying that much sail forward?

brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

I wouldn't go any bigger than 120% unless you have (like me) roller furling, then you can play with it.
Try borrowing a spinnaker - you might get addicted!  I reckon I had over 6 knots downwind when I had one bent on, but that could have been wishful thinking and a favourable tide!  
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Tom Altee
Spinnaker it is then... Roller furling on your Mustang? Aside: My last girlfriend's brother would get free mustangs from the Federal Govt and cross breed them with zebras. I have photographs. Strange animal resulting - thankfully sterile. I have no idea what the purpose was for - the animal was an asshole. Anyway, if you have enough room for them and promise not to turn them into dog food or Italian breakfast meat the Feds will give you all the mustangs you want for free. You provide transportation.