classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Size in meters furling jib

Elly
Hello all,

I just cannot figure it out how big (or small) the jib should be when I am going to replace it.
Could someone give me the size breferable in meters for an normal size furling jib ?
Like #406 the blue one?
(I read all the pages about sails but it is too technical and english for me......)

Thank you so much in advance.

Greetings and happy sailing

Elly from Sunny
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Size in meters furling jib

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
I've taken the best drawing I have (https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/images/largerig.gif).

This shows the outline of three possible fore sails for the standard height mast called the "Std Jib", "Genoa" and "Large Genoa".

I loaded the image into software (The GIMP) that allows me to measure a line in pixels. I get a slightly different figure each time I try but I believe those below are as close as they need to be.

The largest foresail is approx 815px which represents 11ft (3.3528mtr) so 1m is approximately 243px

I believe the sail which you want is the "Genoa", the mid-sized one. I measure that as follows:

Foot: 560px = 2.3m
Luff: 1050px = 4.32m
Leech: 996px = 4.1m

Hope that helps and is accurate enough. Anyone care to confirm my measurements?
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Elly
Hello Grec,

Thank you so much! I appreciate it a lot.
I think I want to order de smallest one, the std jib. Could you give these measuremenst also?

Thank you! I will post a picture of my refitted boat in spring.

Greetings, Elly

Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
The small jib measures about:

Foot: 462px = 1.9m
Luff: 978px = 4.02m
Leech: 926px = 3.81m

Do appreciate I am only measuring from a rough hand sketch drawn at quite a small scale, so these may not be the exact measurements from a real sail, but I don't think any sail will be cut millimetre perfect, so believe these should be good enough to pass to a sailmaker.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Elly
Hello Greg,

Thank you again! I have confidence in this sizes. I wil order this size. I will post a photo from Sunny with her new jib this spring.

Greetings and happy sailing in 2021

Elly from Sunny
Reply | Threaded
|

hardbob
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
This is what Mark from Jeckells replied when presented these numbers and asked about the size of a standard Genoa for Seahawk17:

"Thank you for your email regarding Furling Genoa for your Seahawk 17.

I do have slightly different sizes on File as I have a foot which is 2.64 m and a Luff of 4.26 m.

They do all have different Luff length because they all have different Furling Systems.

I would need an accurate Luff length from you in order to make a new Genoa."

And regarding the large Genoa, the following numbers were provided:

I have some data from 1973 on the Seahawk 17.

It gives the sizes of the Large Genoa but this is not a Furling Genoa but on Hanks.

Luff 14.0’ or 4.27 m
 Leech 14.3 or 4.34 m
 Foot 10.9 or 3.28 m

As pointed out in the reply, it is important to meausere the length of the foil for the luff on the actual furling gear installed.

Best regards, HardBob