Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Spray hood dimensions

Shayne17
Hello, I am contemplating putting a spray hood on my Seahawk 17.
I am wondering if anyone has measurements regarding this?
I would measure my own one, but I am at sea now for the next while, and would like to get the wheels rolling on it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Shayne
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Spray hood dimensions

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
I don't recall anyone who has reported fitting one - perhaps because softy southerners don't go out in conditions that require a spray hood - or is it because they don't actually need one?

Mike Lowson might be able to report his views:
http://www.northboats.co.uk/Contact%20Us.htm
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Spray hood dimensions

Shayne17
This post was updated on .
Hi Greg, thank you so much for that information :-)
I am very happy with my purchase. She is a fantastic vessel, and I shall look her up with the guy in Ullapool. I think he is in Invergordon now, but not sure if it is the same guy.
I have found a spray hood company Martex Marine, £360 for the cover and it will look great. I am not going to bother fitting an inboard now, as I just think it will ruin the weight ratio of her. I am not however ruling out putting in an outboard well? I noticed one on your site with one and it looks smart and makes a lot of sense.
I will post more photos of her once I get a handle on it, just at sea just now so not had a chance to get her up to scratch, although she is in really good shape.
I will put photos up as it progresses.
Cheers
Shayne
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Spray hood dimensions

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Shayne17 wrote
I shall look her up with the guy in Ullapool. I think he is in Invergordon now, but not sure if it is the same guy.
I understand the worry. The site still refers to the yard at Ullapool but on the Contacts page he has an address miles away. I remain confident it's the same guy. As you'll see from a search of the forum, his red hulled SeaHawk was sold to a guy in Estonia!
I am not however ruling out putting in an outboard well? I noticed one on your site with one and it looks smart and makes a lot of sense.
I guess "sense" depends a lot on how you use the boat. Before I bought my SeaHawk I was considering a Swift 18. It was designed with a well and even a hinged engine cover (if a previous owner hadn't lost it overboard).

On a SeaHawk, however, you are forced to raise the rudder stock and make compromises with tiller height. I'm not convinced that it makes for comfortable sailing.

Almost the only reason I can see for a engine well is to place the prop immediately in front of the rudder, to make steering under power a little more efficient.

However, being a Broads sailor, where wind is stolen at every moment by trees, and only keeping the engine for use in emergencies (wind dies and I'm hours from home). I want to reduce underwater drag to a minimum and hate the idea of not being able to raise the propeller.

Additionally, just tilting the engine is not good enough, as the prop then catches in the reeds each time I come about on a starboard tack - and that's at least once every 60 seconds when on the upper reaches of the Ant. So I also demand a lifting engine bracket, so the engine can stay vertical and barely overhang the stern at all.

However, I can understand that a coastal sailor, may worry less about sail efficiency and hull drag, and regularly spend hours under engine. I consider it bad luck if I have to use mine for more than a minute - that would be to clear the dyke in which I moor should the wind be in the wrong direction - and often I paddle her out under those conditions!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography