classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabernacle(s) for Mast

Perry
Greg

It's amazing how easily memory can play tricks. I just checked and you are right

It's a completely different boat I was thinking of, and it was one transposing over the other. Must be an age thing!!!

I'll send you a couple of updated photos, and when I start the renovations in earnest, will keep you up to date

Thanks

Perry

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
|

Freedom
dear all,
coming period I would like to have a tabernacle as well. maybe next year, but I can start already. I have a question about the 4 bolts (picture of the tabernacle in the description of the modification) through the basement, roof and wooden block (inside against the roof). Do I really need those 4 bolts? and if yes can somebody give measures (as for holes in the basement of the new tabernacle); the widt; I presume the length is the wooden block; the roof and the basement of the tabernacle + two times the screw thickness?

thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Joop,

I am not an expert, but my belief is that the base of the mast is largely under compression. However, there will be a constant sideways loading because of the pressure of the wind. Some of that is taken by the shrouds, of course.

As you know my experience with a tabernacle is reported at:
https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/owners-custom-sailing-tabernacle.php
You can see the original mounting plate for the mast in the third photo down the page at:
https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boat-description-rigging.php

My recollection is that the original plate had only three bolts in it that were slightly thinner than those shown on the tabernacle page.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry
Be aware also that as you put the mast up and down it has zero compression loading and quite a lot of sideways loading... and a tabernacle increases that in order to ease lifting and dropping.

My base (not tabernacle) has 4 bolts and I wouldn’t want to reduce that, especially if adding tabernacle cheeks.

Thanks

Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Perry's right!

Re-reading my post, it might look as if I was suggesting the extra bolt was unnecessary, but if you can justify fitting a tabernacle then you can expect to be using it and that means a lot more "unusual"  pressures not experienced by a mast that stands upright throughout the sailing season.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

ReneDirks
In reply to this post by Freedom
Hi Joop,
If you're ever in the area feel free to drop by and look/check/measure how it's constructed on our Seahawk.
Cheers
Rene
Reply | Threaded
|

Freedom
Dear all, Thank you for your responses.
you made it clear and I will use 4 larger bolts then the three bolts there are now.
@Rene; it would be great to see how the problem is fixed on your boat. If it is not bothering you too much: Is there a possibility I can visit you and your boat the coming period?
kind regards,