The Shims & the Keel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: The Shims & the Keel

Thanks Brian - My life has been complicated of late by parents passing, elderly aunties in auto accidents and a younger brother suffering a massive stroke. Lot on my plate.

Interesting that it was shipped in toto.  To whom?  Where?  Canada?  The paint job is amazing.  We have a boat lift to put her up and repair the keel as soon as I get back from a vacation in California.  Pictures as they come.  I will forward this to my family machinist but the plan of action you outlined sounds good. Soon...

Tom
Jacksonville, Florida

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 02:27:24 -0700
To: [hidden email]
Subject: RE: The Shims & the Keel

Wow - that is an excellent paint job!!!

I'm intrigued by the trailer - was it made in the States?  I ask because it looks very similar to trailers supplied as new with the boat.  It may be UK-made meaning that the boat could have been shipped over rather than sailed (kind of more likely I think).

BTW - when you release the keel it may be easier to remove the rusty pivot bolt by splitting the nut using a line of drilled holes and a sharp cold chisel, which I did.  I replaced it with a stainless bolt and washers, sealed with Sikaflex.  Hasn't shipped a drop since I did it 4 years ago.  My keel was blasted and treated with 4 coats of POR-15.  It still looks OK despite being in salt water every season.  

Brian

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/The-Shims-the-Keel-tp4024123p4024193.html
To unsubscribe from The Shims & the Keel, click here.
NAML