classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Three Rivers Race Forum

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Some of you may know that not only have I taken part in the Three Rivers Race, but that I'm also involved in editing a 3RR web site.

3RR Site Logo
Today we have added a forum to the site to make it much easier for people to submit material and ask questions about the race.

Even if you've only a passing interest on sailing on the Norfolk Broads, you should find something of interest there.

Late last year I did hear that a couple of SeaHawks from the Hickling area were thinking about entering this year. If that is still your plan do let me know. Why not post on the 3RR Forum too!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Three Rivers Race Forum

ianhurley20
Hi Greg- I enjoyed taking part in the 3RR race the year before last very much indeed.
Last year for some inexplicable reason we were not allowed to take part. I know you have put in an awful lot of work preparing the boat for this years race which we would both like to better our Seahawk record time, particularly if there are other Seahawks to compete against.
How is this years entry progressing?
Ian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Three Rivers Race Forum

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Ian,

Ah yes! It's easy to enjoy a 24 hour race when it stays dry and has consistent winds throughout the race, allowing you to achieve a finish. You'll recall it's why I claim you are the only crew I've had that's keen to do it again.

The "inexplicable reason" for not being invited to take part last year relates to a post I made in the Norfolk Broads Forum, in which I claimed that the race controller, and chairman of the race committee wasn't very computer literate. I take the view that such personal remarks shouldn't have affected a decision on whether any boat or crew should be invited to take part in the race. However, it is an invitation race and the organisers can, of course, use whatever criteria they like for deciding who can take part.

Immediately I heard directly from the race controller I did post an unreserved apology for any offence I caused, conceding that I did get "carried away". I had hoped that it would be sufficient to end the matter. However, exclusion from the 2010 race, the fiftieth anniversary race, was upheld.

So far this year I have not received an invitation, although last year, the Vice Commodore had indicated that he hoped the matter could be laid to rest with an apology. He is now the Club Commodore and I have been in correspondence with him about the matter again. I understood and respected his position last year, which followed strict club protocol. However, I confess that this year I have lost confidence in the man. His last email to me, on 10 April, said:
I met with the committee at the last meeting. Your application was discussed, and I was instructed to reply with some agreed answers.
which seems to me very much like the tail wagging the dog. He explained...
Many committee member were offended by the comments you posted, and were awaiting a suitable public apology.
This I find very strange. Last year I had received an email from him telling me to expect to be contacted by the Race Chairman. The call came that same evening and, as expected, he said he felt an an apology was due, though he never actually told me which words had caused offence. It was if he hadn't read the original post himself. I assumed that he would have reported the conversation to the committee, and that he, the vice commodore, or at least someone on the committee would have been monitoring the forum last year for the apology. I don't understand how not one of them appear to have seen it. I am at a loss about the whole business. It now seems to me that proper process has completely collapsed within the race committee and the committee is also beyond the proper control of the club itself.

Yes I have been working hard on the boat and I do hope to have Imagination back on the water in time for the race. However, weekends with Diana, the new lady in my life, and the extra time I am spending with my 94 year old father have conspired against the speedy strip down and repaint that I am logging on my blog. I am almost beginning to panic that, even if an invite should come, she won't be ready!

And yes, it would be great to see a fleet of SeaHawks in the race, even if I am only there to photograph them.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography