sail type used

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Chris King Chris King
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

sail type used

Hi there, does anyone use a Genoa on their Seahawk rather than the normal Jib, if so how much benefit do you get from it or does it make tacking tricky like Mike suggested, your thoughts please
 Thanks Chris
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sail type used

I'm a Broads sailor and for me it's the standard jib every time. Mind you, not all agree. See my report of the 2009 Three Rivers Race and get your browser to search the page for the word "Genoa".

Of course, a lot will also depend on whether you have a simple hanked on sail like mine, or have furling gear. At least with the furling gear you can easily reduce the size so it doesn't snag on the mast when tacking, but once furled to that extent your head sail then becomes much smaller than a standard jib.

Bear in mind that the sheets on a fully unfurled genoa, or one without furling gear, must pass outside the shrouds, meaning you lose ten to fifteen degrees to windward on each tack. Do you keep them there when the genoa is furled, or re-rig the sheets every time you want to sail close to the wind?

In summary, I think it comes down to the waters and conditions in which you normally sail. When on a long leg off the coast things may not be critical. Inland, it usually is.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography