Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

stuck

harry
started on the keel,used the saw method and have got the saw to run up both sides,but I have only managed to move the keel with about 2 inchs showing,i will jack that bit back up and knock it down again and see if I can gain a bit more,as I don't want to damage the top by hammering to much,if I can get a bit more out I was going to put a clamp on it and try and leaver it down,am open to any suggestions ,the other idea was to drill a hole in the exposed bit and put a bolt in to use as a fulcrum,this keel has not seen daylight for many years,any helpful ideas most welcome regard harry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: stuck

brian johnson
Just keep working it up and down, and use a pressure washer or hose from top and bottom.  Washing forces out the  bits of grit and rust that jam the keel.  I used a saw with the handle removed, allowing it to be used with the teeth pointing downwards.  It worked really quickly with water from a hose washing out the bits. Be careful though - my keel suddenly dropped so if I wer doing it again I would put some wood blocks under it to limit the fall.  
Reply | Threaded
|

harry
thanks for the advice brian,but for the first time I have been beaten by a boat,it took me 4 hours to knock the keel back up,and that was only 2 inchs,even using a jack I was lifting the boat off its props,so I cant take the risk of taking it down further even if I could,i will still enjoy my sailing and treat it like a pedro,i also did some early sailing on the medway in a 32 foot rn cutter,you might have sailed past my base, at that time I was on the arethuse at Rochester regards harry
Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
The keel must be mostly rust Harry.  Either that or there are a few stones trapped in there. One last idea would be to knock it down with a Kango hammer.  Once you get it out around 8 inches the rest should be fairly easy.Even though it's really stuck it should be possible to free it, but I know the feeling - is it worth the time and effort?  

Your description of sailing on the Medway took me back to when I was a lad in the 60s!  My brother and I had a 14ft ex-RNSA so-called dinghy which we kept at Upnor.  It sailed like a pig in anything below force 4 but was built like a tank with a massive drop keel.  I have fond memories of the Arethusa and have often wondered what happened to the old girl. Did you work on the TS or what?

Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Boyes
Just eavesdropping on this thread,I sailed a British Moth from Hoo marina and took part in Medway week from Upnor Yacht club.in the sixties.
Sailed in a Dragon that was racing against Bluebell one of HRHs boats,,we nearly crashed into the Arethusa,Whoops
Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
I well remember you fast lads at Hoo!  When you were racing you used to shout at us in our lumbering old gaff rigged tub.  We responded with a well executed Victory sign or three!