Show Tips
Sorted by relevance | Sort by date
Found 75 matching posts for furling jib in SeaHawk Forum Showing posts 13 to 24.
... their boats were supplied with a large jib, rather than a genoa. It didn't reach past the shrouds and the sheets were designed to be taken inside them. I had no furling gear and would take the sheets on the Genoa outside the shrouds to the aft fairlead. While the jib sheets needed to pass...
in Help Desk by GregSeaHawk — 25 replies in thread
Hi Stuart, Is your method of lowering the mast anything like mine, described here: http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/owners-custom-sailing-tabernacle.php#inuse As a Broads sailor there is no doubt in my mind that a hanked-on jib is preferable option by far. A fully extended genoa is a quite...
in General Discussion by GregSeaHawk — 18 replies in thread
Hi Brian, There is a lack of decent images of furling gear, whether for stowing a jib or reefing a genoa, on the site. If you (or anyone else) have any that would illustrate the components you're describing I would love to add them to the main body of the site. Ideally, use the "Email Me" link on the Contacts page, so you can send full sized versions straight from your camera, which I can then crop and edit as needed.
This looks very similar to my furling gear. The tab next to where the line enters the drum is for a short line or strop that is fixed to a suitable point on the deck - I use a small U bolt. This prevents the bottom bearing from rotating when furling the sail. You need the strop to be fixed on the...
in General Discussion by brian johnson — 18 replies in thread
We have a very simple furling system and it works well. I could post some close ups but am not sure if I can post more than one picture at a time (Greg?)
in Help Desk by Marsh Marigold — 25 replies in thread
Hi Greg, Perry and Ben I am also considering to add a jib furling system to my rig. It is a Nemo Wonderfurl TR model (if I can get the last missing pieces, i.e. 4.5 meters foil). It will entail a few modifications. I will have to replace the forstay since it has to be a minimum of 4 mm wire for...
in Help Desk by hardbob — 25 replies in thread
It seems that I would need to thread a new halyard through the mast if i was to use a hanked on jib as mine is missing due i suppose to the furling system which means removing the bottom or top of the mast i presume,? not something i am keen on doing as i would need to find a pop rivet gun big...
in General Discussion by 2011venator — 18 replies in thread
Hi Brian, I'll take some pics when the boat is in the water and the mast is up in late April then email them to you. I'm now preparing a new page for the main web site on furling/reefing gear. I've got Victoria's photos to illustrate a furling system, I'm just waiting for yours showing a...
Hi again and thanks for the many useful replies on this topic. Going back to Perry's note on roller reefing not really being needed for a Seahawk, I think I agree with this without having much experience on the matter. My main objective is to have a roller furling so that it is easy to get the...
Spot on! A foil is a flat tube that the sail can wrap around but is only needed to keep the leading edge shape if you are furling to reef. And yes you need a wire, but it’s usually built into the leading edge (luff) of the sail already. You can use that.
in Help Desk by Perry — 25 replies in thread
The block at the top of the alloy pole is there for two reasons: 1 to allow you to change the sail if for example you want to replace a standard jib with a genoa. 2 to be able to tension the sail luff. This is very important as the straighter the luff the more power you get from the sail...
in General Discussion by brian johnson — 18 replies in thread
Thanks for the observation. So fare I only have the jib. But with time and experience, a Genoa might also be part of Totte's inventory. Especially if I end up getting all the pieces for the Wonderfurl. Best regards, T
« Prev 12 - Next 12 »
Show Tips