trailer alterations.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
peter o'sullivan peter o'sullivan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

trailer alterations.

Hi all,I have managed to get most of the jobs done on my boat and now want to get the trailer sorted.I have fitted new suspension units to my trailer and am ready to alter the length to fit the boat better, as the trailer is to long and very heavy.What I would like to know is the size of the box section used on the main central tow bar,which has the tow hitch at one end and the axle bed at the other on the original trailers supplied with the boats. It looks like it could be an 80m x40m or 100m x50m section. Also I would like to know the size of the box section on the other trailer which has the double sections running the full length of the trailer[the gold coloured one] which looks about 70m x40m.Both of these trailers are in the trailer section of the forum, the first one being the one with the measurements supplied. I haven't decided which to go for yet until I work out my final dimensions. Well here's hoping,Regards Peter.
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: trailer alterations.

Hi Peter,
peter o'sullivan wrote
What I would like to know is the size of the box section used on the main central tow bar,which has the tow hitch at one end and the axle bed at the other on the original trailers supplied with the boats.
The Trailers page is one that I have been meaning to re-write for quite a while. It may be misleading. I know that the trailer shown in the "Key Measurements" section has disintegrated and been disposed of by its owner.

The two shown under the heading "Purpose Built Trailers" are, I believe, what I now think of as the "Standard Trailer", in as much as it is the most popular design and appears to have been the one supplied for the longest period when supplied with a new boat throughout the Reedcraft and most of Moore's building period. I am fairly sure it would have been made by "Marineweld" of North Walsham. Although, when I had my tabernacle made, they had a number of drawings for various SeaHawk parts, I think the bulk of their SeaHawk papers may now have been lost because while one or two people have told me that they have had trailers built by them since 2004, their trailers are nothing like the "standard" one.

Hugh Illingworth's boat has been through several owners, and name changes, since the time of those photographs. There is a reasonable picture of it at the bottom of this page recording Rhiannon's Shake Down Cruise, but the boat has been sold again since then.

Penny, the boat with the gold trailer, has also been sold several times since those photos were sent to me. I think she is now known as Charlotte III, but I recall the current owner wrote saying he was thinking of reverting that name to the earlier one. They'll need to remind me but, unfortunately, I don't think I am in touch with either owner any more. However, I'm sure plenty of others could measure their version of this design.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography