Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Barry Wood

Edmondsley
Just reached retirement age. Used to own a Skipper 17 in the Lake District. Now own a Wanderer 14ft. Looking for something small (17-19 ft), trailable, but stable with a cabin.Looked at Seahawks and they look as though they will fit the bill. Are there any recognised common faults with the class, are they ok for coastal, what  is the weight of trailer plus boat ( roughly)?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Barry Wood

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum.

On the basis of what you've said a SeaHawk should suit you. Are you still in the Lake District?

Take a look at the Issues page, under the BUYERS menu for information on what to look out for when looking at a boat.

Under the same button, take a look at the Marketing page for an answer to your question about sea worthiness.

I realise that there doesn't seem to be an answer on the site about the weight of the trailer plus boat. I'll rectify that. No one else has ever supplied a figure but the guy who sold me my SeaHawk said that he had taken his combination to a public weigh bridge and it had recorded 940Kg.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Edmondsley
Thanks Greg. No, we live on the North East coast near Sunderland.Obviously I wouldnt venture out in rough weather but the coast (Tyne down to Tees ) can get a bit "challenging".Will check out the website further.
Thanks
Barry.
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
We have a couple of owners who sail on the Tees. Search the Forum for "390" and "Zephyr". Maybe you could arrange a meet?

Click on a poster's avatar/username and you'll get to a screen where you can post a private email, should they not be subscribed and receiving all posts by email as they are made.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Tony Campbell
Hi Barry Wood
We have communicated before regarding membership of Tees Barrage Upstream Sailing Association.
I am the owner of "390" Charlotte III and sail her on the Tees.  She is away for the winter but come spring will be back home and ready to trail to the river.  We are still working on a boat storage and slipway facility upstream!.
These are an excellent craft. Very easy to sail and very responsive.  As you can imagine there is a deal of tacking up the Tees.
Launching can be a chew, but I have solved that by having a small winch in the car to launch and an extended ball hitch the recover.
One of our members was so impressed with my boat, he purchased "Zepher"

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Tony Campbell
Reply | Threaded
|

Edmondsley
Hi Tony,
Yes I saw Zephyr advertised and was quite interested then I saw it had been rehomed in the river Tees. I wondered if it was one of your group bought it. It looked a nice genuine boat and I hope he has some good sailing with it. How would you feel about taking it to sea (coastal)?I also saw that someone had sailed upriver with a Wanderer in the Dinghy Cruising Association journal and mentioned having to lower the mast a few times at bridges. Does that happen often? Sorry I cannot get to the advertised do’s but we are usually out when they are on. I have seen a SeaHawk advertised down in London area but it seems a long way to go if the boat/trailer isn't too good.Fingers crossed I might make it down there yet.
Cheers
Barry.

[Edited by Forum Admin to remove excess quote of previous message]
Reply | Threaded
|

ozzy
In reply to this post by Edmondsley
Hi Barry,

when you consider the weight of the boat and trailer, also take into consideration the accumilation of essential and comfort items that can sometimes add a considerable weight. for example, mine with the outboard, fuel, two car batteries, food, clothes, kids toys(!) etc is 120kg heavier than the 'bare sailable' weight.
so unless you are solo sailing 'lite' :-) i'd cautiously say 1000 kg... although i've not weighed her on a weigh bridge.

i'll have to get mine to a weigh bridge next season, i'm intrigued now...

as far as costal sailing goes, with the right skipper, in the right conditions, you can go where you want!
if you start cautiously and build experience, you'll gain confidence and be able to sail comfortably in up to F5. above F5 is not really 'comfortable' sailing, but you'd give up before the boat will...

hope you get sorted with a boat soon, and begin your voyages afloat!

austin

Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Austin,
ozzy wrote
for example, mine with the outboard, fuel, two car batteries, food, clothes, kids toys(!) etc is 120kg heavier than the 'bare sailable' weight.
Apart from the single battery I carry, all your list of "stuff" goes in the car when I'm towing. Other than that battery, in the box bolted to the keel housing, The only movable things left on the boat when I tow are the mast, boom, bunk cushions, rudder and tiller. Exactly the same list that I normally leave aboard on my mooring, when unattended. (Even the fire extinguisher goes in the car.)
i'll have to get mine to a weigh bridge next season, i'm intrigued now...
Do post your findings when you do it, and don't forget to specify what was on board at the time. I could do with another figure.
as far as costal sailing goes, with the right skipper, in the right conditions, you can go where you want!
if you start cautiously and build experience, you'll gain confidence and be able to sail comfortably in up to F5. above F5 is not really 'comfortable' sailing, but you'd give up before the boat will...
I'd go along with that. I still have the aim of attending a Day Skipper course before I take to the salty stuff.

It's probably time we continued the various aspects of this discussion in a topic in the "General Discussion" or "Help Desk" areas.

I'll leave this thread with a repeat of my "Welcome to the forum Barry". I hope you enjoy your time with us.
Greg Chapman