Cockpit Drains

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
mikeviney mikeviney
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cockpit Drains

I have a Pedro and as you know they share many of the design features, and therefore many of the problems!  
The cockpit drains are the dinghy type drain plugs at cockpit sole level about two inches or so above the waterline.
Most of the time I can leave the plugs out and although some water comes in when I move to the back of the boat to start the engine etc. but it soon drains out.
The problem I have is when the boat is healed under sail the leeward drain is underwater with water flooding the cockpit.
Has any one else had this problem?
Needless to say I do fit the pugs when I intend to sail (when I remember).
My assumption is that the transom should clear of the water even when the boat is healed. The back end of the cockpit is useful space to stow fenders, fuel cans, mooring ropes, the odd anchor or two and the heavy outboard motor hanging of the transom and this is not doing much for the boats trim.
My intention (and for you good people to comment on) is have one drain on the center line in line with the rudder.
Other possible solutions are:-
Raising the cockpit floor, this needs to be well designed and well fitted to ensure the void is water tight.
Good house keeping to keep the boat in good trim, I know this is not going to happen!
Perry Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cockpit Drains

This post was updated on .
What about installing some bits of plastic on bungee as flap valves? That's
what I used to do in tideways (similar drain holes) and certainly its what
is done on GPG14s (albeit much larger drains). It lets the water out, but
wont let it back in.

Would that work?

Thanks

Perry
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by mikeviney
Hi Mike,
mikeviney wrote
Most of the time I can leave the plugs out
Ah! There's the difference! The only time my sherry corks aren't in the bung holes is when I leave the boat.

(Now most sherry bottles come with screw caps I'm wondering what I'll do when the plastic caps drop off the cork!)
The problem I have is when the boat is healed under sail the leeward drain is underwater with water flooding the cockpit.
The very reason I never leave my mooring without putting the bungs in!
Needless to say I do fit the pugs when I intend to sail (when I remember).
I never motor - except when the mast is lowered to pass under bridges. For me it's more a question of trying to remember if I took them out again when I left the boat.
My assumption is that the transom should clear of the water even when the boat is healed.
I agree that's the ideal, and the reason I fitted an extra long tiller for solo sailing, and the reason I ask the third and fourth aboard to go below - of course it rarely happens. (I just can't understand why t those you invite aboard to act as ballast don't do what's expected of them!  )
My intention (and for you good people to comment on) is have one drain on the center line in line with the rudder.
I would always prefer a solution that doesn't involve making a non-standard change that involves a hole more than bolt sized.
Other possible solutions are:-
Raising the cockpit floor, this needs to be well designed and well fitted to ensure the void is water tight.
Have you considered matting, whether rubber or wood? See:
https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/owners-custom-cabin-splitdoor.php#curtain
https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/owners-custom-cabin-splitdoor.php#vertical
Good house keeping to keep the boat in good trim, I know this is not going to happen!
As I say, just make sure your crew is prepared to act as ballast down in the cabin, so you have plenty of room well forward in the cockpit!

Apologies for this slightly flippant response!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
mikeviney mikeviney
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Perry
Thanks for the ideas, I think some form of one way valve might be worth investigating.
Perry Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

I know this might be crazy, but i just remembered that dishwashers have
that exact thing in their outflow pipes so that as the dirty water pumps
out, it can't go back in.

Maybe pop down to your local repair center and see if they have anything
you could use!

Perry
mikeviney mikeviney
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
I think I may need to change my practice and fit the drain plug when the boat is in use. The cockpit is a very good rain collection device and its surprising how the cockpit can fill in a Devon rain storm. One rain storm in an otherwise prefect weekend will not swamp the boat if i open the drains as required.
When everything is stowed and the boat is sitting pretty with the drains well above the water awaiting next weekend adventures the plugs can be taken out.
Drilling holes in a perfectly good hull is not to be taken lightly so a change in practice and self discipline should be tried first. I will pursue a one way valve design if possible (sherry cork on buggy cord?)
As far as putting the crew in to the cabin, I have found that when getting the spinnaker out the female members of the crew automatically to go below!

GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Mike,
mikeviney wrote
The cockpit is a very good rain collection device and its surprising how the cockpit can fill in a Devon rain storm.
That's why I have been known to drive 20 miles back to the boat to check whether I really had taken the bungs out, when I knew I wasn't due to return for a couple of weeks.
Drilling holes in a perfectly good hull is not to be taken lightly so a change in practice and self discipline should be tried first.
That would be my approach.
I will pursue a one way valve design if possible (sherry cork on buggy cord?)
I have seen people push them in from the outside, but I have always kept them in the cockpit lockers and push them in from the inside. Even with a fairly dry and shrunken cork I haven't yet had them get pushed in by the pressure of water.
As far as putting the crew in to the cabin, I have found that when getting the spinnaker out the female members of the crew automatically to go below!
Ah! Being without spinnakers this is a benefit that I hadn't encountered.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography