classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Keel Problem

2011venator
This post was updated on .
Swapped my Trident 24 Brer Rabbit which was to big for me and also in need of some major repair work for Lil Dee seems a splendid little yacht and can not wait to get her on the water,have taken some pic's think she may need some work to the keel although I was promised it was all working ok,so first job will be to test it out.There is no movement at all but is that normal while it is sitting on the trailer bearing in mind the keel is resting on the centre support..looks like it has had a good clouting to me?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stuart

brian johnson
Hi Stuart
It looks like someone has seriously battered the top of the keel in an attempt to force it out.  My advice is to lift the boat - I used a tractor with a front loader - and rest it on a couple of tonne bags of grain or sand.  It worked for me - I was able to get the keel out by removing the large swing bolt, freeing the keel using an old handsaw to pull out the rust from underneath, and then taking the whole plate to my local sand blasters who cleaned it up for £20.   I then painted it with 4 coats of epoxy tar paint and reinstalled it using a stainless bolt and side plates.  It's been fine for 5 years sailing in Lyme Bay and Cornwall.   You may have to grind the sides of the battered top to get it through the slot in the top plate.  Fit a new strop - if the old one breaks the keel could badly damage the front of the keel box.  
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stuart

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the forum.

I have no experience of removing the keel, but what Brian says makes sense.

Take a look at the Keel Problems page and all those linked from there.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography