Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Original Jeckell's Sail?

Tom Altee
And out of the sail bag comes a Jeckells sail.  Original to the boat?  And what of the sail with the orange W?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Original Jeckell's Sail?

Tom Altee
The sail with the orange W is stitched in the same manner as the Jeckell as opposed to an American stitching pattern.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Also:  My English sails have a luff wire and hanks.  Usually here in the States (if not elsewhere) it's an either or.  First time I've ever seen both in tandem.  Insights?
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Tom,

That certainly looks like an original Jeckells sail from around 1970-1976  (right down to the stitching).

The luff wire is also the norm for any SeaHawk headsail, and I believe for any English boat other than the lightest dinghies (but I am not an expert on those).

The "W" is a mystery, as is the "H" mentioned on another US boat and also seen on just one of the last boats to be built by Mistral Craft. See:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/gallery/uk/isolde.htm

If you are very lucky that you might be able to read the job number on the sail. It should be somewhere near the Jeckells sail logo and will be stamped in indelible black ink on the sail. Jeckells do claim that they have full records of all sails despatched from their loft since at least the early 1970s. If you can quote that number at them they may be able to help with details of the original order.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography