Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tabernacle Fitting

Tony Campbell
I have recently purchased Charlotte III. sail no 390 built 1985.  There is a small amout of water leaking through into the cabin from the tabernacle fixing bolts.  The tabernacle is not located symetrically above the support beam.  Two of the bolts are 40mm forward of the beam just passing through the cabin roof and two passing through the 50mm wide beam but on the forward edge.
Is it likely this has been a retro fit?  Is there specific dimension for the position of the mast, say taken from the point where the slope of the "entrance bump" meets the cabin roof?
As I intend to take the tabernacle off to seal the leak, if it is not correctly located this is the time to do make any necessary ammendments.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tabernacle Fitting

andy01842
Mine is fitted the same as your`s so would think this is correct. Mine also leaked and needed resealing.
"there are good ships and wood ships, and ships that sail the sea. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be."
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Tony Campbell
I'd back Andy's view. Charlotte III was previously, Penny.

See:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/gallery/uk/penny.htm

She appears to have been Broads based from the beginning, so is highly likely that she was was fitted with the tabernacle from new.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

Tony Campbell
In reply to this post by Tony Campbell
Thanks for the information.  It does not appear to terribly well engineered (that's what we used to be good at in the North East) but it works.  I will not worry about it any further.
This boat is destiny (according to Mrs TC) as our granddaughter is called Charlotte and now we know it was named Penny, we have a niece of that name.
I attach a couple of images of Charlotte III on the Tees.
It would be good to have a rally of Seahawks on the Tees one day.  13 miles of non tidal river (with a few bridges to negotiate)  If there is any interest I will post a new topic.

Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Charlotte III appears to have what I always took to be the "standard" tabernacle - certainly, it's the most popular design.

I was expecting to get exactly the same thing when I went to Marine Weld to ask them to produce mine - but you can see what was delivered is considerably different both in design and the gauge of steel used:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boatshed/tabernacle.htm

Of course the change may relate to the fact that later Moore's boats had a mast with above/below halyard pulleys. My older SSS mast has side-by-side halyards.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography