Tabernacle(s) for Mast

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tabernacle(s) for Mast

I'm looking for advice in building or buying a tabernacle for raising or lowering the mast on my Kismet. As you can see from the photograph provided there is a wood block attached to the cabin roof for the mast to be raised on.  I have not had the mast raised at this point in ownership.  The mast will be back soon from the boatyard after having been buffed out and repaired and will be set up.  Any advice or direction to a plan for building a tabernacle will be greatly appreciated.
Perry Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tabernacle(s) for Mast

This post was updated on .
There's details on how to build on on the Seahawk website. I handed the details to. Steel fabricator a while back, and they said they could easily make one from the plans

The only gotcha was going to be the mast pivot, as it needed aluminium welding. However a friend said he could cut a nylon bush on a lathe and we could press fit it, do all done

Let me know how it goes.  Your boat is an inspiration!

Thanks

Perry

Sent from my iPhone
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Tom Altee
Hi Tom,

As far as I know the wooden block is not original equipment, although I have seen a few boats with such a fitting. I'm not sure of it's function, unless it's to cover some earlier damage to the cabin roof.

I have a post on the forum showing my original mast step and the main site has a page with details of my tabernacle.

Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Perry
Found the info on the tabernacle.  Thanx Perry!
Tom Altee Tom Altee
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
I will take a closer picture of the wooden block and have it up tomorrow.  Thanx Greg!
brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
I agree with Greg on the wooden block.  Any damage to the roof must be sorted asap as it is a balsa sandwich construction so any water ingress will rot the balsa, weakening the roof.   So carefully bed the tabernacle on to mastic like Sikaflex etc.
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Tom,

I've done a quick search through my collection of SeaHawk photos and found this:

Tabernacle Mount

It shows a "recent" Mistral Craft boat that appears to have a tabernacle designed for a boat that has a sloping cabin roof and isn't quite tall enough for a SeaHawk.

So far, apart from this and yours, I haven't found a photo with another with a wooden block at the mast step, though I recall I had seen another in the past. I'll keep looking.
Greg Chapman
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Tom,

I've now been through my entire collection SeaHawks photographs - more than 130 boats. Not all include views of the mast step but of those that do and that's the vast majority, there are only two additional ones that have any form of mount for the mast step:

Tabernacle Mount

Tabernacle Mount

The exercise confirms my impression that SeaHawks were never delivered with a wooden block at the mast step.
Greg Chapman
Perry Perry
Reply | Threaded
|

Just so you know, I have what looks like an identical block at the bottom of the identical kind of mast foot.

Can you post a closer picture?

Thanks

Perry

Sent from my iPad
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Perry,
Perry wrote
I have what looks like an identical block at the bottom of the identical kind of mast foot.

Can you post a closer picture?
If you're referring to the blue boat, that's Reed Nibbler and the image is already enlarged from the full frame version seen in the gallery and taken ten years ago, so I can't do better for you.

I know you sent me some photos of your boat. The external ones show the cabin under a tarpaulin, but you may not have encountered the only other pictures I have of your boat, also sent to me around ten years ago

It appears that back then it did not have a wooden block under the mast. Here's an enlarged version...

Piccolo
Greg Chapman