15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WITHDRAWN - Boat on Ebay Oct 10

vanman800
This post was updated on .
Hi Guys,

If anyone is looking for a Seahawk one has been relisted again on Ebay.

P.S.
Greg messaged that he could not find this boat so I had a look and it looks like it has been removed from Ebay

Vanman800 (Alan Loughran Seahawk 120 'Pippin')
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Boat on Ebay Oct 10

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Have you a URL or item number. I can't find it!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

vanman800
Yes it looks like it has been removed. I've added a note to this effect on the origional post to save folk having to follow the thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Good!

So you've proved you can post and reply and even edit posts here.

I wonder who'll be the first to try adding an image?

And who is going to tell me that they successfully, subscribed via email to a particular, so they didn't have to log on to the forum to see the responses?
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

vanman800
Email works am receiving and we'll see if this comes back to you!

Alan

Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 1:02 AM
To: vanman800
Subject: Re: Boat on Ebay Oct 10

Good!

So you've proved you can post and reply and even edit posts here.

I wonder who'll be the first to try adding an image?

And who is going to tell me that they successfully, subscribed via email to a particular, so they didn't have to log on to the forum to see the responses?
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregafloat.org.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View message @ http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/Boat-on-Ebay-Oct-10-tp1620605p1622314.html 
To unsubscribe from SeaHawk Forum, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Ouch!

That kind of worked, but top-posting (i.e. leaving the entire text of the original message) is a hideous crime when replying to a forum post via email. Remember we already have the text in front of us. We don't need to see it twice.

Also, it appears that posting an HTML reply is playing havoc with the formatting of messages.

Can we play some more so we can see what advice we need to offer.

Have you subscribed to everything, just the "For Sale" forum, or did you check the box for replies by email when you posted your message?
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by vanman800
Hi Alan,

On 03 Oct 10 14:59 "vanman800 [via SeaHawk Forum]"
<ml-node+1624575-1102989733-221224@n3.nabble.com> said:

> Email works am receiving and we'll see if this comes back to you!

After my last reply, posted without quotes from the site, here's a
reply from my mail program. This includes a quote, and is posted with
my plain text mail client.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

vanman800
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk

Hows that? Incidently this is coming from Windows Live Mail
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Alan,

That is certainly tolerable

If I was in geeky mode I'd talk about setting the font size rather small and in a font that's not available on older computers, but I'm not sure what options are available in Windows Mail and whether it's even possible to set it to reply in "plain text", which would be the preferred method as then your response would be guaranteed to follow the forum default.

I recall that it was possible to set Outlook Express to reply in plain text, but I don't know my way around Windows Mail at all.

Thanks for testing!
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Boyes
Hi to my fellow SeaHawkersby the way,I think I bought it ,220676301236 is the e bay no;
Now comes the hard bit,tracking down its history and a Sail no.
Robin
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way of finding out the sail number, unless you have some owner history and rely on them to tell you - but a dis-masted boat only used for fishing is not likely to have been used by anyone with an interest in that aspect of her past.

Have you a name for her? I'd like to store the eBay images in my archives under the name you'll use - as I haven't anything better to go by.

Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Boyes
Hi Greg'
She will take the name of my long departed British Moth..."ENIGMA"
Under all the slime is a Reedcraft Sticker,She is a Two Berth version minus any sink or toilet mouldings.She has a cast bronze handle on the keel strop.No tabernacle,just an aluminium mast fitting.
As she will have to go out across the Bideford Bar to Clovelly or Lundy Island She will have a Honda 7.5 fourstroke engine mounted at the transom in the middle.I have a large stainless ruder that bolts to the engine,this has worked well for me with my old Bell Seagull sloop.Any drag caused by the freewheeling propeller wont be significant at sea,Ihope I will convert the front to a double bunk,putting the cooker on the starboard side just at the cabin entrance.Porta Potty can live in port coffin bunk hole.I will fashion a shortbowsprit to hang the anchor on and utilise the masthead rigged mast to give me a two foresail arrangement.Not to radical i hope,I have  sails from a redwing plus a mirror,all red so quite trad.
Plenty of work but she deserves to be cherished,brilliant site this is,thanks.
Robin
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Robin,
Robin Boyes wrote
She will take the name of my long departed British Moth..."ENIGMA"
I will file the images in my archives accordingly!
As she will have to go out across the Bideford Bar to Clovelly or Lundy Island She will have a Honda 7.5 fourstroke engine mounted at the transom in the middle.
I assume the engine is something you have already so is a no cost option. If considering an engine for purchase, I would always advise sticking with the recommendation for 4hp maximum.

Remember that a displacement hull (effectively, any boat that doesn't plane) has a certain design speed that it cannot exceed. All that you do as you increase power lift the bow and dig the stern in further. You don't go any faster you just create more wash. A 7hp motor is already going to be significantly heavier than a 4hp engine and will have the transom in the water anyway, further adding to drag even when not running.

However, I'd always rather be sailing than ashore saving for a the ideal boat - so go for it!
Ihope I will convert the front to a double bunk
My only concern with that plan would be the mast bracing. There's not enough space in the bows for adult-sized berths with the bulkheads still in place and they are needed to support the mast - but as you know there are ways round that:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/boatshed/mastbracing.htm
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Boyes
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Hi Greg,
Indeed the engine is already here,but I take the point about power,this engine is so econimical on low power.
I reconsider re the berths,I will leave it as standard.
Has any body had a knockdown,it looks as if the door aperture would be very likely be clear of the water when on its side.I guess the ballast will right the boat then.
I shall foam fill the bilgefin depressions and glass over,I detest water sloshing about.
Thanks for the info,
Robin
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Robin,
Robin Boyes wrote
Has any body had a knockdown,it looks as if the door aperture would be very likely be clear of the water when on its side.I guess the ballast will right the boat then.
I have heard of one guy who had a knockdown, but the tale was second hand when it reached me, so I don't have all the details. However, I do recall being told that the problem was a cleated main sheet - That was the reason that the block and cleat were being sold and how my contact learnt of the tale of a SeaHawk knock down.
I shall foam fill the bilgefin depressions and glass over,I detest water sloshing about.
Maybe it's me being a lake and river sailor that doesn't understand the risk - but as you're working on the assumption that no water is going to enter the cabin even in a knockdown situation, how do you figure that those depressions will ever fill up unless you fill a watering can and deliberately pour it in?
Greg Chapman