Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

War Paint

Tom Altee
My Kismet's last day at the plastic surgeon and make up parlour. Here are a couple of photographs of her on as she's nearing completion this last absolutely lovely day of November here in North Florida. We decided not to use the actual waterline along the hull much preferring the sweep of the strakes as the line for the bottom paint.  Removing the keel and replacing the through bolt and whatever else we find on Monday, December 1st. More extensive photographs on Monday and especially the rebuilt hatchway pieces.  One thing I will have to get used to is the outboard engine on her starboard side.  We usually mount them on the port side here in the States.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: War Paint

brian johnson
She looks great in red, Tom!  Lovely job.   I've sorted three Seahawk stuck keels so if you get stuck I'm sure I can help.  Keep us posted on progress.  
All the best
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Here is the damage.  Check the pics below. The 1973 keel has completely rusted and expanded in the slot.  We pounded on it with a sledge hammer and got only a 1/2" (do you guys still use English measurements lol?) of movement down.  So saying I've taken her to the boatyard and they are going to sort her keel out for me. A new keel will have to be fabricated - with changes to the wire pull up and drop down.  We're thinking that one out now but have a good handle on it pardon the pun.  So enjoy these pics and any comments of helpful hints you might have would be greatly appreciated.  As is now I'm just performing comedy for my sailing buddies.  That said she is attracting attention wherever I drag her on her trailer.  No one here in the States has ever seen the likes of her.  She's a beauty.  I will say that at 61 years of age, she's my last boat.  No more messy divorces where I have to find a new love.  She my last.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
In reply to this post by Tom Altee
The swing pin is frozen and will not let the keel - ruined as it is - drop.  Torqueing was tried, large wrenches and small sledgehammers were tried - nada.  No movement whatsoever.  We are now cutting into the fiberglass housing, then cut the pin on both sides extract it, drop the keel replace all and re-glass the housing. Two photographs below of the surgical removal.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
With the swing pin cut on both sides the keel dropped right out of her housing. With a proper grinding and paint up she will be fine.  We are going to re-jigger the handle-wire pull to raise and drop the keel to a different configuration.  More on that later.  All in all a better out come than I feared - as in manufacturing an entirely new keel over in the marine machine shop. I don't know about Brit World but over here you put the moniker "marine" in front of anything and you can just quadruple the cost.   Pics below.

Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
Good result Tom!  You may find that getting the keel sandblasted is cheaper and easier than trying to grind off the rust.  After blasting I painted mine with 4 coats of POR 15 but others use epoxy mastic paint on steel plate keels.  I used a stainless steel pivot bolt on my keel.  You are dead right about the prefix "marine" quadrupling the cost!  My local steel fabricator quoted me £60 to make a new keel from steel plate - a boatyard would probably charge at least 4 times that.  My advice is to check the inside of the keel box for cracks and deep chips from trapped stones.  If you find any then a dremel and epoxy putty are your friends.
Looking forward to seeing your new arrangement for lifting the keel.
Brian

Reply | Threaded
|

Tom Altee
Thanx for the encouragement and tips Brian. Sandblasting is the way to go for sure. The expoy is a grew idea also. Now that my Kismet is a tropical boat she will need extra attention as things grow gas down here. There are alligators in the area bigger than she is! Stay tuned for more...