Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

electric motor

yoram
i am contemplating on using an electric outboard motor.
https://www.biltema.dk/en-dk/boat/boat-motor/electrical-motors/electric-outboard-motor-2000023155
i was using it on a boat i have built and on rowing boats in Norway. it worked really well but the boats were not as heavy as Sea Hawk 17.
anyone has experience with an electric outboard motor on Sea Hawk 17 and can share?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: electric motor

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Yoram,

It could be that you haven't used the "Search Site" field and button" at the top of every page. I searched for "electric" and turned up these pages in the results that could be of interest:

https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/owners-engines-outboard.php

https://www.seahawk17.org.uk/buyers-reviews-bennett.php
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

yoram
thanks, Greg. i have seen it. my main concern is when i want to get back home before dark and the wind blows against me and it is obvious that i will not make it with tacking. than i can start up the motor, lets say 4 hp, and i will be parking in the marina before dark. would it be the same with el-motor? how fast can the boat sail with el-motor (54 lbs.)?
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Probably not! My 50lbs thrust Minn Kota was only used to get me out of the sheltered dyke where my boat was moored or when the wind failed, rather than blowing in the wrong direction. If there was wind I always sailed, even if it was in the wrong direction!

When Tony said this:
Tony Bennett wrote
Greg's Seahawk is powered by a very adequate electric motor - testing in that wind yesterday showed she would maintain steerage way and even make some ground head to wind with both sails up but the sheets loose. Impressive.
it was an October afternoon fifteen years ago. It was blowing a Force 5 or 6 across a 600-hectare lake. There was no tide and waves no more than 20cm high. I do believe that it was impressive for a small electric motor to fight against against all the wind resistance of a fully rigged SeaHawk.

However, I don't think I'd rely on it on the waters that you'll be on. A 4hp long shaft engine is what the old SeaHawk brochures recommend and I believe that to be good advice. When my father bought his SeaHawk, Reedcraft supplied him with a 3.5HP Yamaha two-stroke engine.

I would have had complete confidence in that to do the job in any waters I'd dare take a SeaHawk. I have seen SeaHawks fitted with larger engines, but they weigh a lot more and dig the stern deeper, especially if hung on a rising engine bracket. As you have to sit nearer the transom to control an outboard, so move even more weight to the back of the boat, you don't go any faster. You just go slower and generate more wash.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
There is a newish electric motor available that puts out around 4hp but it is expensive at around £1600 - you could buy a coupl eof Seahawks for that money.  It has good range with a big lithium battery built-in.  The Aquamot is made in Austria and very well built.  See it here demonstrated by a real user!  Aquamot Electric Outboard

Brian Johnson +44 1404 881609

On Thursday, 30 April 2020, 17:32:01 BST, GregSeaHawk [via SeaHawk Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Probably not! My 50lbs thrust Minn Kota was only used to get me out of the sheltered dyke where my boat was moored or when the wind failed, rather than blowing in the wrong direction. If there was wind I always sailed, even if it was in the wrong direction!

When Tony said this:
Tony Bennett wrote
Greg's Seahawk is powered by a very adequate electric motor - testing in that wind yesterday showed she would maintain steerage way and even make some ground head to wind with both sails up but the sheets loose. Impressive.
it was an October afternoon fifteen years ago. It was blowing a Force 5 or 6 across a 600-hectare lake. There was no tide and waves no more than 20cm high. I do believe that it was impressive for a small electric motor to fight against against all the wind resistance of a fully rigged SeaHawk.

However, I don't think I'd rely on it on the waters that you'll be on. A 4hp long shaft engine is what the old SeaHawk brochures recommend and I believe that to be good advice. When my father bought his SeaHawk, Reedcraft supplied him with a 3.5HP Yamaha two-stroke engine.

I would have had complete confidence in that to do the job in any waters I'd dare take a SeaHawk. I have seen SeaHawks fitted with larger engines, but they weigh a lot more and dig the stern deeper, especially if hung on a rising engine bracket. As you have to sit nearer the transom to control an outboard, so move even more weight to the back of the boat, you don't go any faster. You just go slower and generate more wash.
Greg Chapman

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.seahawk17.org.uk/electric-motor-tp4025158p4025164.html
To start a new topic under Help Desk, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SeaHawk Forum, click here.
NAML