classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

painting the keel

mjseahawk
Hi All,

Ive finally got around to removing the keel.

I've now ground her down to clean steel and im going to give her a coat of paint before i put her back.

What paint should i use (on a budget). I might be able to get hold of some general anti rust paint (for valves etc) from work for free, would ythis be ok or should i use an anti-foul? It only ever sits on a trailer its never moored.

Thanks in advance
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: painting the keel

brian johnson
This post was updated on .
Hi there
If the keel is going into seawater then you should use an epoxy-based paint or 4 coats of POR 15 (from the Frosts website).  Next time I take mine out I will have it thickly galvanised - cheaper than you think if you can get it into a consignment froma local gate-making firm!

If it's going into fresh water then your anti-rust paint from work should be enough to keep the rust at bay, especially if you are launching from a trailer rather than keeping the boat on a mooring.  It would be better to have the keel sandblasted before painting (cost me £20 for mine to be blasted) as this will remove all rust and give a better key for the paint than grinding. 

Cheers
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: painting the keel

mjseahawk
Thanks for the advice,

I managed to get hold of some epoxy 2 part paint. Hopefully that will be the last time the keel needs to come out as its never moored, it sits on a trailer when i'm not using her :)