Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

sail number

Edward James
Hiya, just a quick question. I own the seahawk 'C-Auk' and was given with it the sail numbered 501 with a black 'H' sort of logo. I was then reading through the history of the pyecraft boats and it says that 'skylarking' or was registered as 501 but no pictures of it are shown.
Hopefully someone can answer this question.
Thanks, Ed!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: sail number

brian johnson
Hi Ed
It may be that the sail is not from a SeaHawk but perhaps from another class (?Hurley 18)  so a bit confusing.  I expect Greg will be along soon as he may have info on C- Auk
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Edward James
Hi Edward,

I've always been a little worried about my records on Pyefleet boat sail numbers. As you have seen, on the history page I say"
==============
Another is "Skylarking" (formerly Almaz), which is reported as having the sail number 501 although photographs from 2005 show it with no emblem or sail number.
==============
My memory says that David Cornabe told me his sail number was 501, and maybe he was misled or misinformed when he purchased his boat, as using the site's Search facility, I find that Skylarking appears in the For Sale section of the forum listed as #503. I must have been told that number at the time I posted the advert, and failed to update the history page at the time with the further information I was told then of which I was unaware.

None of the photos of C-Auk I have taken, or been sent, show the full mainsail, so I have never had the sail number confirmed and, it seems, when I was invited aboard to take the internal photos that I have, I failed to ask the then owner about the sail number.

Thanks for raising the query as it now only leaves one question - is the boat with the black "H" sail emblem with no number a fourth example Pyefleet boat and

The use of the "H" sail emblem on Pyefleet boats remains a bit of a mystery but not a complete surprise, as I note on the History page John  Bennett used it, or a version of it, all the way through from the earliest designs till the, never built, MkVI boat.

I'll update the History page in a day or two (I hope)!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
I've updated the Pyefleet section of History page, its first change since 28 May 2014!

I've also changed the final paragraph of the "Since 2010" section to be less optimistic about the SeaHawk's future.

One question is outstanding in my mind - is the sail emblem on #503 red or black?

Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography