classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Marsh Marigold Marsh Marigold
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New furling jib

This post was updated on .
Just this one with a jib pole.  We only use the pole when goose winging before the wind.  The disc at the top in the other picture is actually a metal ash tray to stop the sail getting wound into the forestay when furling.  It didn’t come with the kit.

Marsh Marigold Marsh Marigold
Reply | Threaded
|

This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Thanks Greg.  Here are the  two parts of the furling kit, with the top section in the sail lowered position.

GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Marsh Marigold
Hi Victoria,

Your images show up fine on my phone and tablet, which seems to resize them perfectly. However, they are hideously over-sized on my desktop and require a great deal of scrolling around to see what the they are meant to show!

In fact, you posted them three years ago, but then they were posted as file attachments and easy to deal with as one was forced to open them in an image viewer app outside the forum.

I have a half prepared page dating from that time that is almost ready to post on the main site.  It was going to cover both furling and reefing systems, but  I was waiting for further photographs which I was hoping to get from Brian Johnson.

For those on laptops/desktops I'll repost your photos with the options FLOAT: CENTER and RESIZE: BIG SIZE set. That should make the better suited for all devices.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

No I won't!

They all come out sideways which is just as unhelpful!

I have a feeling that it's the owner at Nabble, the hosts at the forum, that is messing with the system.

He is threatening to close it down as he says it is unprofitable, so I am currently investigating alternative forum software.

I'll report more formally when I have made a decision on what is to be done!
Greg Chapman
brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by GregSeaHawk
Sorry Greg I completely forgot to send the images to you!  I took these when the mast was down but I think they show how the furler works.  The jib is hoisted on a block attached to the top of the foil so no chance of the forestay getting twisted.    Note the link line on port side of the bow that stops the furler body from rotating.   I also have a couple of images of how we hoisted the boat on to two dumpy bags of corn to remove and treat the keel.  Please feel free to move these another section of the forum.
hardbob hardbob
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Marsh Marigold
Hi again and thanks for the many useful replies on this topic.

Going back to Perry's note on roller reefing not really being needed for a Seahawk, I think I agree with this without having much experience on the matter. My main objective is to have a roller furling so that it is easy to get the jib in and out + the storage advantage. With this objective I took the chance and bought a nearly complete "Nemo Wonderfurl TR". For new the complete system cost is around 1200 pound and I paid less than 100. However, it may be that the parts are not suitable for a Seahawk? Now I am considering the solution described by Perry and Marsh Marigold. And I am trying to figure out if the pieces I have can be used in this way with a swivel at top and bottom and the sail wire in between. I would think that the drum/swivel at the bottom can be used in such a setup also?

The nemo wonderfurl system can be seen here:
https://www.nemoindustrie.com/en/sailboat-accessories/jib-furlers/#gref

I have all pieces except for the foil. The only foil I have is the sail-feeder piece.

Many thanks for taking the time to give advice

BR Thomas
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Thomas,

hardbob wrote
Going back to Perry's note on roller reefing not really being needed for a Seahawk, I think I agree with this without having much experience on the matter. My main objective is to have a roller furling so that it is easy to get the jib in and out + the storage advantage.
Just a minor observation from me on this one! Note that the subject line of the topic includes "jib", not foresail or genoa.

If you have a Reedcraft boat and the standard jib then I would not disagree with you or Perry.

However, many Moore's boats were supplied with a genoa and furling gear. For those boats the ability to reef the genoa is clearly essential.
Greg Chapman
hardbob hardbob
Reply | Threaded
|

Thanks for the observation. So fare I only have the jib. But with time and experience, a Genoa might also be part of Totte's inventory. Especially if I end up getting all the pieces for the Wonderfurl.

Best regards, T

Elly Elly
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by SeaHawk215
Hello,

Did you manage to get a good furling jib for your boat. what did you buy? I am asking because i am looking to buy it for my  boat Sunny.
Thanks for your reply.

Happy sailing, Elly
brian johnson brian johnson
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Elly

I didn't buy a new job for my boat - it was a mainsail - but if I did I would only buy from Jeckells!  They have the dimensions of all Seahawk sails and make superb quality sails at a very reasonable price.  For a new furling sail I would probably buy a genoa so that it could be used to give more drive in light airs.  I would also put a couple more eyes on the cabin roof to give different positions for the sheets, depending on how much sail I had unfurled.  

Hope this helps

Brian